ANACS and Daniel Carr

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Atarian, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

I've seen articles that say ANACS will slab DC (Moonlight Mint) originals (like the Amero) or restrikes (like the 1975 Eisenhower dollar). Has anyone actually had this done?

I've e-mailed ANACS but do to the weekend I don't expect a reply until Monday.

Thanks for any replies.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I've got a 2009-DC. I would be interested in the response from ANACS.

4. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Yes, ANACS does the Daniel Carr coins. Have to submit a minimum of 5 coins.

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Dan Carr coins.jpg I've sent a few in one or two at a time with no problem. Be sure to save the original flip when it comes back

6. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Just curious; is there value in having a DC coin certified? It seems kind of odd to have a fantasy coin certified to me.

7. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

8. krispy

krispy krispy

9. krispy

krispy krispy

There are serious collectors of his work. Most of what he creates and sells is not fantasy over-strike pieces, but medals, tokens and unique pieces of bullion or concept work such as examples of designs he conceived for the US Mint when submitting his designs for consideration.

There are known fakes of DC's work out there and some collectors may wish to protect their collections of his work in something more substantial like a coin holder from a TPG, which stands behind the work originating from DC. Much of what he creates has very limited mintage so protection and certification would be important to serious collectors of his work and help to ensure long term safe keeping of the pieces.

10. dwhiz

Easer to display and it helps to protect the coin

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  11. dwhiz

12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I've seen the 2009-DC SAE Overstrikes bid up between $200 and $300.

The 1964-D Peace Dollar Overstrikes, at one time, were selling for between $300 and $450. I think $350 is a reasonable asking price today.

The IKE's, I'm not so sure about. I think that the $300 that recclm50 is asking will be a "no sale" coin.

For a better idea, look for the completed sales: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=daniel+carr&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=3&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

Thats the reality.

13. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I like DC's work. I purchased the 2009-DC (thick mint mark) ASE proof because I really wan't one to "sort of" complete my collection. I'm just surprised that we're now certifying a fantasy coin to protect it against cheaper fantasy coins. I guess that I can understand it but it seems a little wierd to me.

14. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

And ANACS wonders why they're bottom of the barrel.

15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I really like DC's work. I don't understand the purist bashing of such a talented artist.

16. dwhiz

There a lot worst, look at feebay and you'll see all kinds of slabbers
    just got these back from ANACS Dan Carr Kennedys.jpg Dan Carr Kennedys 2.jpg

17. dwhiz

+1

Morgandude11 likes this.
  18. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I just noticed on Moonlight Mint web site that DCs 1963 Kennedy Half Dollars went up by $15.00. Glad I got mine early.

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Me too. I am still kicking my own hiney for not getting one of the '64 Franklins.

20. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I now have the complete set of Kennedys. That's all I have of his work. Sorry that I didn't find him sooner.

21. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

I like Daniels Fantasy pieces and would like to have them certified. I've tried several times to join ANACS.com but it always fails at the confirmation step. I tried contacting them through the techsupport email given at their site but got no response. I tried calling them but can only leave messages whivh have had no response yet.

I wish Daniel would make a deal somewhere else!

chromerunner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted