ANAC/ICG crossover question.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by keemao, Apr 16, 2014.

1. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

I would appreciate input from any of you that have bought ANAC or ICG graded coins and sent them in to NGC or PCGS for crossover grading. Specifically, were the grades the same or lower, etc. Haven't bought any yet but considering it when I return home from my trip and would like to see what your responses are.
    Thanks for your input.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Why not buy NGC or PCGS slabbed coins in the first place.

Yes, I understand that ANACS and ICG coins (and don't forget SEGS and PCI) are often less expensive.
    BUT have you factored in the cost of the crossover?
    -- Cost of the submission level.
    -- Cost of shipping BOTH ways.
    -- Cost of insurance BOTH ways
    -- Chance that the coin will come back with a lower grade.

Buying NGC or PCGS slabbed coins in the first place could be cheaper.

4. bhaugh

bhaugh AKA - 1872Hokie

Sometimes you can find rare varieties in ANACS or ICG holders, then this practice is perfectly acceptable. For run of the mill coins though, don't waste your time.

sambyrd44, mlov43 and rzage like this.
  5. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Unless the coin is prohibitively rare or simply an incredibly nice example, you may be much better off buying a piece already in an NGC or PCGS holder instead of buying another TPG and sinking the time, effort and funds into an attempted crossover.

sambyrd44 likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I have sent in several ANACS coins. Only one crossed to PCGS at the same grade. The others did not cross.

7. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

ICG -> PCGS usually grades lower

8. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

How come no one ever does PCGS details -> ICG? Does ICG even do crossover?

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Because a PCGS details coin is worth more than an ICG problem free coin.

sambyrd44 likes this.
  10. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

I know it would be easier to buy already slabbed NGC, etc. but if I found one in the other slabs I really liked I
    might go for it. That's why I asked for personal experience. I know what my costs would be with NGC since I only send in to them.
    But thanks for the input so far.

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I don't think you can make such a blanket statement , whizzed or really harshly cleaned coins will sell for considerably less than ANACS or ICG coins if the coin in said holders is correctly graded or a superior coin . That could be the case if the ICG coins were graded wrong or graded with missed problems . Buy the coin not the slab comes to mind .

CamaroDMD likes this.
  12. Ron Sannes

Ron Sannes Member

I have submitted an ICG for crossover at PCGS, the coin was a solid problem free coin however PCGS doesn't even look at ICG coins. Later that month I talked with some PCGS employees at the long beach expo and they said they don't look at ICG coins because of rim filing and the ICG holder blocks the rims for viewing. They will look at ANACS coins but not ICG. NGC on the other hand cracks the coins out of the holder (unless its PCGS) and then grades it from there.

rzage likes this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that PCGS removes all coins from the holders before grading. Including crossovers.

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I agree, but, "correctly graded" are the key words.

15. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

No I think they will grade the crossovers right in the slab. If they will grade them they crack them out, if not they send you your coin back in the slab they received it in.

That's my understanding anyways.

16. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

PCGS does not remove a coin from a crossover submission until they decide to cross it over. The only exception is for MS/PR70 coins where the submitter signs the form to allow PCGS to crack the coin out.

17. BHPM Trader

BHPM Trader Active Member

The folks at PCGS told me that the grader will look at the coin first while in the previous TPG holder. If there is a chance that it could grade equal or higher, the holder would then be cracked open for further examination.

18. BHPM Trader

BHPM Trader Active Member

I have crossed over ICG graded coins many times. When doing this, the coins I have submitted for crossover are at minimum 1 grade lower. Most of the time it's 1 grade, some grade 2 grades lower. I have never had one grade 3 grades lower and I have never had one grade at the same grade that ICG gave.

The last two ICG slabs that I crossed over were January 2013 and here is how it turned out for me:

1885-S $20 Liberty ICG MS63 - Came back as PCGS MS61 - HUGE difference in value.

1922-P $20 St. gaudens ICG MS67 - Came back as PCGS MS65 - I expected this to come back as MS65 and it's a great coin.

I bought both coins for $3400 total when Gold spot was $1600+. I expected the grades to come in lower and purchased accordingly. I still have both coins and am still happy with the transaction despite the drop in Gold spot over the last 15 months.

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

All this cross over talk.......what do you think you're gonna find on the other side? Promised land? MO Money? Stick with raw.......Kool Aide tastes flat lately but I will agree that when it comes to selling your coins, encapsulated (coffined) coins command a better price in the after market. That's 'cause most folks don't want to (can't?) trust their own judgement.......

Kentucky, Cochisz, Treashunt and 3 others like this.
  20. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

Sometimes peaches...sometimes pits.
    I've had some DNC, some lower, some the same, and some higher. (ANACS)
    Don't lose sight that submitting the same coin may result in a different grade, too.
    All the major TPGers strive to get it right, but to err is human.
    With experience comes accuracy.

rzage likes this.
  21. Jim Robinson

Jim Robinson Member

I'll let you know my results in a week or two. Sent 5 into pcgs for crossover.
    2-ngc jefferson 44-d and 38-d ms67's 5fs.
    1-icg ms62 quarter eagle 1914
    1-segs 1909-s vdb red ms 65 yikes!
    1 1972/72 rb ms 66 NNC lol. Hoping for brown or rb 62
    Reading this post makes me think zero cross!

Draft saved Draft deleted