Americas First Medals

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, Feb 14, 2011.

1. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

Well, I got mine for a quarter each at my local coin store, if that's any help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, there really is no monetary value in these pieces but they are beautifully struck and the history (Am. Revolution) is fascinating.

4. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

5. leaconcen

leaconcen learning constantly

The original bronze versions made by the Paris mint run a thousand dollars up. You can find both bronze French and US re-strikes though. They can range from $100 up. You can even find the Libertas Americana French re-strikes in silver and bronze. The silver can become more costly though.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

It's a great set , I just wish they would have included the "Libertas Americana" medal instead of the US Treasury medal . Too me that's one of the most important medals in the group . Still well worth the price as they're all beautifully done .

7. green18

rzage and coinzip like this.
  8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Ken I see you have the "Libertas Americana" medal in Bronze I think , did you get that from the mint ? I bought the whole set in pewter and that wasn't with it . To me that's the best one of all the great medals .

9. leaconcen

leaconcen learning constantly

You can sometimes find the Libertas Americana on Ebay. The French mint will restrike these medals every few years. Boughta new one in bronze a few years ago for about seventy dollars. The silver restrike can go over 2 to 3 hundred dollars. BTW this medal was named the best medal of all medals

rzage likes this.
  10. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Really sublime artistry on those medals. I can definitely see why you're attracted to them!

rzage, green18 and coinzip like this.
  12. green18

I wish I had that medal Rusty. That's a photo of one that sold on Heritage a few years ago.

rzage likes this.
  13. green18

You got Henry (Light Horse Harry) Lee mixed up with Nathaniel, Alan. :)

dwhiz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted