Alloy Changes for US Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 19Lyds, Apr 22, 2014.

1. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yes they do, but in your scenario, every person in this country would need to have a card reader and bank account to deposit to for every transaction from yard sales to drug deals to coin sales. Visitors to this country would have to have them also.

Would you want the government to be able to track every sale and purchase, no matter the size, you make?

Cash was, is and always will be, king.

TychoCelchu and longnine009 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

BTW, why doesn't Coin Talk have a "CANCEL" button for those times where you thought you wanted to reply but then changed your mind? (Like right now!)

4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yep, the cell phones could even have a built-in card reader.

5. statequarterguy

Well, like I said, it is the “inevitable”, it’s where we will be someday, as that’s what the government wants. I don't see a problem with international transactions, they're done now with credit cards, etc. As for illegal activities, I hate to be one of those that says “I have nothing to worry about”, in order to justify giving up a civil liberty. But, I don’t know, is it really a civil liberty to require the government to produce a means for one to conduct an illegal activity? I would imagine illegal activities would still be conducted with pm’s or other commodities.

See previous post => card readers built into cell phones.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  6. statequarterguy

yeah, that sucks, been there.

7. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt the US Mint will ever produce another coin actually worth collecting, so what they make them out of is a non-issue. Recycled soda cans, recycled milk jugs, whatever.

8. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

if only they released something worth my time. :(

9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

It's bad luck to not pick up a found coin. My son told me that, so it must be true.

coingeek12 likes this.
  10. statequarterguy

Yeah, the worse the circulating coins get, the better the collector only mint products look. Even after we move to a cashless society, the mint could still continue its most profitable activity, numismatic products.

11. statequarterguy

Anyone see the movie In Time, where we’re all paid with time on our lives. You have to earn more time and get some gizmo on your wrist recharged with time before you expire. The wealthy have time on their accounts to live 100’s of years, but the rest have only a day to a month, so they have to make sure they work or.............. Crazy form of money, huh?

12. coingeek12

Love that movie!

13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

That's true. Although, while I have my share of proofs and commemoratives, I don't get the same level of satisfaction from them that I do with coins that were expressly made for the purpose of being genuine, circulating money. Maybe that's just me.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

There is a wide range of perfectly legal activities that, for one reason or another, you do not want to be tracked, recorded, etc. At least in the world where I live there is. :)

Christian

15. statequarterguy

Many collectors feel that way. I certainly like the classics, but the news stuff “grows on me” more & more every year.

16. statequarterguy

Yeah, I don't know, I don't care if they track my purchases. Most already are, as they're not for cash and many cash transactions are tracked. Maybe they'll continue to figure out what I want and offer it to me.

17. coingeek12

or take it from you :confused:

18. statequarterguy

That's certainly a possibility, with or without cash, maybe easier without cash.

19. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Did anyone have their wrist gadgets hacked? :eek: "thirty seconds"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  20. quarter-back

quarter-back Active Member

I don't think that changing the alloys will affect future collecting. I collect coins from the German Empire through the Weimar Republic to the Third Reich. Everything from silver to aluminum and zinc were used and I still want one of each. In fact, my favorite coin my collection is an aluminum 50 pfennig piece.

They probably said the same things when nickel alloy 1 cent pieces were introduced. But how many of us would turn down an 1856 Flying Eagle cent? In twenty years there will be a whole generation that will know nothing about "pennies" and I bet they will survive quite nicely.

Volante likes this.
  21. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

Well, you didnt quit when they switched from copper to zinc....

austyn likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted