Advice wanted.......

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by flintcreek6412, Apr 20, 2014.

1. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

I know it's impossible to tell without having coin in hand. But I am thinking about a slight upgrade and am struggling to decide based upon both price and pictures. Both coins have the same date and grade and both are PCGS/CAC. One is probably $75 less expensive than the other and having in hand, other than return policy, is not an option. And yes, I'm the oddball that likes this coin white.

So........are they similar enough to not make a difference or is one better than the other? I'm struggling to determine if the strike is difference or if it's pure photography. Since both are CAC I would think they are similar but maybe not. Thanks in advance. oreg-obv.jpg
    oreg-rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. If you like white, go with the one on the right. That would be my preference as well. $75 is not a lot given what you are likely paying. Great coin either way though. TC

4. debordj

debordj Debo

Could just be photography, but I would go with the one on the right. It looks like a better strike to me.

lucyray likes this.
  5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I agree...based on the photos, the coin on the right looks MUCH nicer.

6. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

another vote for the one on the right

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think this is one of those cases where it's hard to make a determination simply because the lighting of each photo is different. I see positives and negatives for both coins. Without seeing both coins in hand, I'll pass on making a suggestion.

Chris

CamaroDMD likes this.
  8. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

The one on the right is definitely a better strike and other than the small contact mark that I noticed on the reverse of that coin, I would go with the one on the right.

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The photo on the right definitely has better highlights.

I have no idea about the coins though................

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

The right one for me too

11. krispy

krispy krispy

I prefer the lighting on the right. Why not buy both and resell the one you like less when you can actually see them in hand. Seems if they are both as good as the TPGs say, you will not have trouble reselling such a handsome coin. I also think most are tending to the right because the images on the left are over exposed, too bright and it's not possible to get a sense of the coins actual color and some details which are lost. Could just be on the slab, but the coin on the left seems to have a mark above "we", too.

JPeace$ likes this.
  12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

If you can swing it and have a way to get rid of one of the coins, I like this idea. The lighting is killing the coin on the left. The coin on the right looks great in the photo. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd go with the right one.

13. flintcreek6412

Well I took a leap and pulled the trigger on the one on the left.....it's going to be learning experience. I talked to the dealer and it's a scan, not a good DSLR pic. I've bought a CC morgan off him before and the pic made the CCs look weak but in hand they were perfect and strong. I will know in a few days. He has a very good return policy that we discussed. I'll know for certain if all CACs are created the same.

I love the coin on the right but the ding on the reverse rays is kind of bugging me. I might be eating crow but it's a cheap education.

14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Let us know what you think once the coin arrives. I for one am interested to hear your opinions on the coin.

15. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Right turn Clyde...

16. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Left-- I like the slight toning.

17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Everybody says right and you decide for left (what is ok)... but why did you ask us anyway? :)

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Impossible to make a good comparison due to the differences in lighting and the overexposure of the coin on the left. I would probably go with the one on the left because I don't like the hit on the ray on the one on the right.

19. flintcreek6412

Because most are picking it from the picture. That's why I asked the original question about the picture. It was a 2 prong question basically. One about a coin with exact same credentials of date/mint/PCGS/CAC/grade look the same. Next about a photo making that big of a difference. AFter talking to the dealer and finding that he scans his pics I'm inclined to think they are similar. He had it in hand as we discussed the coin. If I don't like it, I send it back.

I was hoping to hear from someone that has experience with CAC coins to chime in say that they will be very similar in strike if it's got a CAC in same year/grade.

20. flintcreek6412

I'm not the best photographer in the world and took quick pics at lunch to load. But the coin arrived today and in hand I am very happy my left pic. I'm struggling with the flash a bit and didn't have a chance to try a tripod and lighting but as far as strike and appeal I'm happy. It's PCGS MS66 CAC.

The far left is my pic in each array.

obv1-horz3.jpg

rev-horz3.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted