Advice wanted for 2nd individual ancient purchase

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Lord Geoff, Mar 18, 2014.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Please don't think the list we have mentioned exhausts the possibilities for Roman women. The ones mentioned are just the easy to find ones. None of us are likely to have a Constantia, Dyrantilla or Titiana. There are others. Do you want ladies who appear only on the reverse of their husband's coins or ladies that appear on provincials but not Latin legend Imperial coins? At present there are even coins under discussion as to whether they are Helena II or just very odd coins of the common Helena (whose coins are all small so probably not of interest to you). I've never counted up how many women appear on coins but someone with the book ERIC II probably knows the Imperial count. The concept of wanting a 'complete set' is something ancient collectors usually outgrow quickly.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Lord Geoff => I'm lovin' your two new additions ... so, apparently you're another big fan of the chick-coins, eh? (perhaps Mat can be your wingman when you two go out searching for chicks?)

;)

... again, I like your new cool pick-ups (congrats)

Lord Geoff likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not me, but I am almost 35 so I still have a long life ahead to get demons like julia titi and so domitia and so on.

Now Constantia, Dyrantilla or Titiana, yeah...not gonna happen.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Who is Ras' last female on his list? Titiana is only available on a Provincial so probably is not on the list. Perhaps Constantia?

6. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

If a female's coins are only small, I will buy a copy if not too expensive. I am not locked into larger bronzes, just prefer them.

As for the reverses, if it is a bust I would like them. A shadowy figure that is "so and so's wife" does not really interest me.

I may outgrow it, but at one a month with about 20+ to get it will last a while.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Theodora's coins are all AE4's, meaning very small. They were minted after her death, as a memorial tribute. For whatever reason, 4th-century commemorative and memorial issues are all tiny coins, for example, the Constantinople and Rome city commemoratives and the Constantine I memorial issues.

Here's my Theodora, smaller than a dime...

028.JPG

stevex6 and Bing like this.
  8. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Looks good to me.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Not too small yet JA. I have quite a few 5th century AE5's, (barely large enough for a tiny head on obverse and part of a monogram on reverse), that would make this coin seem huge!

10. John Anthony

It's a decent representative of its type. It's pleasing to handle larger coins of course, and I'm not immune to that, but the smaller coins also have great numismatic interest. Here is the complete version...

Theodora
    AE4, 15mm, 1g, 11h; Trier mint: 337-340
    Obv.: FL MAX THEO DORAE AVG, laureate and draped bust right.
    Rev.: PIETAS ROMANA, Pietas holding child // TRS palm.
    Reference: RIC VIII Trier 91 (p. 144)

theodora.jpg

11. John Anthony

I've got my share of smaller coins as well, but I think 14-15mm is as small as Romans get in the 4th-century. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Late 4th century-fifth century? Oh no. I have lots of them from the Theodosius era later that are 10-12mm. That is why I used the term AE5, which denotes these very tiny coins. I am not sure its used much anymore, but used to be.

13. John Anthony

Yeah, that's right - I'm obviously thinking early 4th-century. I've got Arcadius as small as 13mm.

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Same with Æ(S), with the (S) for silvered antoninianus. Never see it anymore, just "silvered".

15. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

I will be opening my coins Sunday :) Will post my reaction and photos probably on Monday

Draft saved Draft deleted