Advice wanted for 2nd individual ancient purchase

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Lord Geoff, Mar 18, 2014.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My most recent qualifying coin is this Julia Maesa sestertius which was $40 at a show in September 2013. I thought it was worth that price but there are dealers that would charge three times than much. The whole question of what you get for the budget really depends on how impatient you are. Do the reverse flaws or obverse scratches bother you. The seller considered them faults worth mentioning. I did not go to that show intending to buy a Maesa but was able to justify this one that day. Most of us pay too much for some coins and get bargains on others so we figure it all works out in the end. I suspect this coin will sell for a few hundred in 50 years. Can you wait for the coins for which you pay too dearly to catch up?

Also, as mentioned, Maesa is famous for being a grandmother of two emperors so she might not be what you had in mind if looking for youthful great beauties.
    rx0225bb3094.jpg
    This Mamaea was cheaper in 1990 because it was 1990 and because it has a big gash on the reverse. Some dealers overlook such things when pricing coins. Some buyers let them get away with it. She is a generation younger but still mother of the emperor. Coins of little sisters are rare.
    rx0370bb0410.jpg

stevex6, Lord Geoff, vlaha and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I was referring to the single busts.

Nice coins doug!

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

pretty coins Doug

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Tranquillina twin portraits are easier to find and, IMHO, generally better engraved than the singles. You might not like the fact that they have a smaller portrait for the flan size. I only have one single, a Deultum about the size of a nickel.
    gi2280b01897lg.jpg

stevex6, vlaha and Bing like this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

On the subject of Tranquillina, here is mine. $25 two years ago.

[​IMG]
    Tranquillina (241 - 244 A.D.)
    Æ 21
    Cappadocia, Caesarea Year 7 = 244 AD
    O: CAB TPANKVLLINA AVG,Diademed and draped bust of right.
    R: MHTP KAI B NE ET-Z, Six grain ears bound together.
    6.1g
    21mm
    Syd 618

stevex6, vlaha and Bing like this.
  7. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Ah yes. Whoops.:confused:

8. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Thanks for the info everyone, and nice coins shown! I am getting away from caring about the big chunkiness of the bronzes (although I would still prefer quarter-sized), but find what I care most about is full legends and nothing too unsightly. I think part of the reason I really like full legends is I can't look at a coin yet and immediately know what the legend says or fill in the blanks, so I need to be able to read the letters.

I'm going to repost the list here, updated with some more females people have listed or that I have found...Feel free to correct any omissions as before.

Antonia
    Lucilla
    Crispina
    Julia Domna
    Faustina I (SR)
    Faustina II (JR)
    Julia Mamaea
    Otacilia Severa
    Herennia Etruscilla
    Tranquillina
    Sabina
    Julia Soaemias
    Julia Paula
    Julia Titi (looks rare!)
    Julia Maesa
    Domitia
    Orbiana
    Salonina
    Severina
    Galeria
    Helena
    Fausta
    Aelia Flacilla
    Eudoxia
    Sophia (Byzantine, seems to be only dual portaits with husband)
    Eudocia (Byzantine, same as Sophia)

That's a LOT of women on coins to get!!!

stevex6 likes this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> wow Doug, your Julia Maesa certainly has some sweet eye-appeal!! (great $40 colour!! ... what a steal)

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Legends are also an important factor for me, and mint marks, if applicable. I'm quite happy with a coin in F if I can read most of the lettering and the surfaces are clean and un-doctored.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> I totally agree (man, that JA is one smart fella) ...

I love having "everything" (but who doesn't, right?) ... ummm, but I'm really a total fan of "symmetry" ....... yah, I hate small flans, but I can force myself to accept a tight-flan as long as it is symmetric (OCD ? ... sure, maybe)

... obviously, at times we're all forced to accept a few flaws ... but again, I am a total fan of symmetry!! (did I mention that?)

;)

Ummm, after saying "symmetry" way too many times, I think I probably should have used "centered" instead? (either way ... you get it, right?)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Lord Geoff and John Anthony like this.
  12. John Anthony

Centering is good too, absolutely. But very few ancients look anything like modern coins in terms of symmetry, so it's a completely different collecting aesthetic. Despite all the criteria I have, sometimes a piece just jumps out and grabs me emotionally or intellectually, and then all the criteria get thrown out the window. It' s like the wand picking the wizard. The coin buys itself.

Lord Geoff likes this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I agree ... all I was trying to state was that I would prefer a slightly more worn "centered" coin, than an off-centre strike with a slightly better grade (yah, I agree, that I'd have to see both to know if the wand was picking me, etc ... that's very Harry Potter of you, my JA friend!!)

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Those coins can do serious damage if they get hold of your VISA card.

stevex6, vlaha and Collect89 like this.
  15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I like legends to be there also but sometimes if its a bit rarer or the price is a near bargain level for the going rate of the type, I will live with some letters being off.

I cant stand holes or major scratches. Otherwise I am easy to please when it comes to ancients.

stevex6 likes this.
  16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I've enjoyed every post in this thread. :) My suggestion to the OP is to go to a coin show & befriend a reputable dealer or two. Show them your list & buy an ancient lady coin that speaks to you.

This Faustina coin spoke to me at a show. I thought it was great that her ear was fully struck. It's not a bronze example but it was less than $100.

IMG_5609.JPG
    IMG_5610.JPG

There are some great lady Gods (Goddesses) depicted on Greek coins. Here are a couple coins of Athens depicting Athena. These examples are not in the $100 budget category. However, I have seen several good looking Tetradrachms with Athena & Owl for less than $200.

IMG_1447.jpg
    New Tet Obv 1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Lord Geoff, stevex6 and Bing like this.
  17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hey, I almost forgot about this one. I bought it & sold it in 2013 for something less than $100.

I don't sell a lot of coins. It was one of a three coin lot & I only wanted to keep two of the three coins.

The dealer may still have it in stock. It depicts Athena and it is about 2,400 years old.

Athena-Owl_Obv_1.jpg
    Athena-Owl_Rev_1.jpg

Stay thirsty my friend.

stevex6 likes this.
  18. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

I like fully symmetrical coins also.:D

This coins has many things related this thread.

1. It features a lady.

2. It has great centering (Ok, ok, only on the obverse...)

3. It cost less than $100.

4. It's big well sized at 10.97g by 22mm.

Salonina take two obv.jpg
    Salonina take two rev.jpg

Lord Geoff, stevex6 and John Anthony like this.
  19. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

I have made 2 purchases which I will post when I receive them....

:)

John Anthony likes this.
  20. John Anthony

Eh...post them now. Enquiring minds want to know. :)

21. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Well I am actually purchasing one as we speak...one moment.

One of them I got advice on and am comfortable it is a good deal.

The other is all me. Hopefully I won't regret it :)

Draft saved Draft deleted