A question about Restoration Methods

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by john1942sept, Apr 22, 2014.

1. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

phh, u cant hurt my feelings! there* as tough as nails!

*did this on purpose.

fiatfiasco and CamaroDMD like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Whoops, wrong thread!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  4. john1942sept

john1942sept Member

To answer a few questions. The green showed up on several coins stored. The brown, I think is dirt, but I don't know. The coins were put in storage, we believe about 70 years ago. We don't think they we touched until 1 year ago, when located. If it were dipped it would have had to have been over 33 years ago (not 5-10) as we know they no one alive had access to them for that period and we don't think anyone accessed them since about 1942. I do appreciate everyone's experienced judgment. Very interesting comments.

fiatfiasco likes this.
  5. coingeek12

I should say so!

6. john1942sept

john1942sept Member

Also, I have heard of dip, but neither know what it is or what it's dangers are. Comments would be appreciated. Must leave.

7. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

WOW! A lot to discuss about dipping/cleaning. Search, dipping cleaning coins, on CoinTalk and you should find more than you may want to know.

If you're interested, I'd also suggest searching, coin storage, for proper ways to avoid PVC, as well as other types of damage.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. coingeek12

so, will he take the red pill, or the blue pill?

9. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

Drugs are bad...mkkkkk?

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Don't use any type of dip unless you understand that it can kill most of the value of your coin. Dip is an acid that eats the surface of the coin. Few coins can be helped with this method. Knowing the coins that can be helped is the tough part and takes much time to learn.
    Acetone is not an acid. It only removes organic matter from the surface of the coin. It's safe with silver and questionable with copper coins.
    As safe as acetone is with silver, what's under the stuff on the coin may not look any better. Small hits and scratches will be more visible.
    There is much to learn if you plan to clean your coins.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not true. Not even close to true. The softest cloth in the world will absolutely leave hairlines on a clad coin.

fiatfiasco likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

As for the brown, my guess would be that the coin was dipped long ago to remove heavy brown toning. Again I'm guessing, but the green looks like it might be PVC residue from the coin being stored in a PVC flip at some point. If it is PVC, acetone will safely remove that.

BadThad likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Cotton or cotton cloth itself is too soft to scratch a coin, HOWEVER the troublemaker is dust. A significant amount of common household dust is silica, and silica IS harder than the coinage metal. The scratches "caused" by the cloth come from the cloth capturing the silica grains and dragging them across the coin like sandpaper.

14. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

Like watching a baby play with a loaded gun

15. john1942sept

john1942sept Member

It was not stored in a PVC flap, although it looks like it. It was in a tattered roll that said FRB in Dallas with other 36D. This person hoarded silver; I think because of fear from the depression and then WWII. I don't think she was ever a coin collector in any form.

16. john1942sept

john1942sept Member

How do you properly apply the acetone?

17. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Looks to be PVC residue, soak it in acetone for a couple of hours and, if needed, gently prod the residue with a toothpick while the coin is under fluid.

john1942sept likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

john1942sept likes this.
  19. john1942sept

john1942sept Member

Thanks. Sometimes those green spots flake off on their own.

20. GDJMSP

Yeah, PVC residue can do that when it dries out sufficiently. But you do you realize what PVC residue is ? It's an acid, and it eats into the coin damaging the coin when left there. So leaving it there is not exactly the best thing to do.

21. john1942sept

john1942sept Member

I'm almost certain that it's not from a coin flip as the individual just took money from the bank and hid it, but I suppose it could be from another source.

Draft saved Draft deleted