A pair of 1922 High Relief Peace Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Apr 22, 2014.

1. austyn

austyn Member

Probably a little over 300$

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

one of em looks fake for some reason or another. it just doesn't sit right with me.

4. austyn

austyn Member

5. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Does the high relief refer to a coin that has been struck more? In other words, would a high relief dollar be slightly thinner than a low relief coin, or do I have it backwards?

6. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

7. austyn

austyn Member

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It has to do with the depth of the design. The features are struck deeper into the planchet resulting in a more attractive design. The higher the relief...the deeper the design.

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Is why in my opinion the 1921 peace dollars are far more attractive then the rest of the series just like the high relief st gaudens gold (stil beautiful regardless tho) why the only peace dollar I own is a 21

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Personally I like the ms 64 better the toning adds to the cameo effect my prediction ms 67 365k ms 64 $110k ok pf 67 and 64

11. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

So it is a very slightly thinner and lighter coin...thanks for the clarification.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  12. CamaroDMD

I think the higher relief makes the 1921 Peace Dollar a much more attractive design.

Mainebill likes this.
  13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

No, the devices are just raised higher. The planchets used are the same.

14. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I was referring to the depth of the strike, not the thickness of the planchet.

15. CamaroDMD

The thickness and weight are exactly the same.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Maybe one of them will be lucky and turn up one of the high relief 1922 business strikes. (Some 35,000 1922 high relief business strikes were made, only one of which is known today. And it was found in a batch of circulated pieces.)

No it isn't really thinner or lighter, The curvature of the field is greater on the high relief coins so the height of the relief from the field to the highest points of the relief is greater, and on the high relief dollars I believe the highest points of the design are actually higher than the rim. Less widely known is that the actual design of the high relief coins is slightly different than on the low relief coins.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted