A Counterfeit Henning nickel counterfeit???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Agilmore01, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think the best part of this whole thing is his response to the first question on the E-Bay listing:

Q: The only nickels with silver and had the large mintmark were from 1942-1945. The other dates would not have the large mintmark even on the genuine ones. Therefore the only marker to look for is the looped R on yours. Can you... Continue reading
    A: I assure you that the coin is real. Thanks for your question.

That is hilarious on so many levels.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

How were you able to see my conversations with the seller on the listing?

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

They are quite rare in circulation...that's for sure. I have personally never found one, but I have seen postings on various forums where people have. So, some are still out there.

5. CamaroDMD

The seller has the option of making any questions and answers visible to just the person who asked...or to everyone. For some reason, this seller made them visible to everyone.

[​IMG]

6. Agilmore01

Wow never knew that. Like how he was giving me the runaround? When he did finally post a pic of the reverse, the top was cut off where you couldn't see the R. Not sure if the coin sold or if he ended it.

7. CamaroDMD

When you click on the link it says "sold."

Also, the R on the reverse isn't critical. The louped R does mean Henning Nickel...but the lack of the R does not mean it's not. There are known Henning varieties without the louped R.

8. Agilmore01

Right, but without any indicators except for weight how could one know It's a Henning?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

9. CamaroDMD

There are other known die markers.

10. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

I have been googling around. http://www.numismaticenquirer.com/TNE/Henning Counterfeit Nickel.html

What is to say he didn't go back and get them?

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The known dates are 1939, 1944 and 1946. There are more 1944 dated coins than the others, and there is even a different variety of the 1944 - it is sitting on my desk at the moment - but when I have a moment I will photograph it. It is missing the mintmark, but doesn't have the divot in the R of Pluribus like most of the identified coins does. Apparently he struck the 1939, 1944 and 1946 dated coins with the divot reverse - but later on corrected the reverse for the coins he was making when he got caught. The examples of the later coins are quite a bit scarcer than the regular 1944 dated coins - about as scarce as the 1939 and 1946 years.

12. Agilmore01

So what other diem markers are there to look for?

13. AWORDCREATED

So what is the best thing to look for of the R doesn't show the hole?

14. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

He even contradicts himself. In one answer he says:
    ... which implies there is silver in the nickel (or so he claims). Then in another answer he says this:

15. AWORDCREATED

So why were his heavier? Thicker? Composition?

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

FWIW, eBay finally got around to pulling the auction.

17. CamaroDMD

Interesting...I have never seen an auction pulled after the item sold before. Seems a little backwards.

18. Agilmore01

I couldn't tell if it was ended or if it sold.

19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That actually happens pretty often. I've bought 2 coins before that were "canceled" after I had already won them. I got the "MC355" (or whatever) email from eBay saying the listing violated their policies. It instructed me to not pay, or if I already had, I could use the resolution process to obtain a refund.

20. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

so, someone counterfeited a counterfeit?

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I would not say often, but I have seen it quite a few times.

Draft saved Draft deleted