50 State Quarters Checklist

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by benyjr, Jun 15, 2007.

1. benyjr

benyjr New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

benyjr, I didn't want to download that hefty file just to find out what your checklist is. Can you explain what its purpose is and what it consists of?

4. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

By the way, welcome to cointalk.

5. benyjr

benyjr New Member

Thank you Adam.

It is an illustrated list of all US State Quarters released todate, with check boxes for the Denver and Philedelphia mintings of every coin.

The images in the file seem to be making it gigantic. Probably overkill, but I wanted it to look nice.

I created it to keep track of my collection, without having to bring out the collection itself every time I sorted through a roll of quarters.

Beny

6. jody526

jody526 New Member

Wouldn't it have been easier to put your coins in an album?
    I mean, how much trouble can it be to pick up your coin album and look at it?

7. benyjr

benyjr New Member

Well, I do have my collection in an album.

However, I'm from Canada and can only collect the state quarters when I visit the US. I didn't want to be taking my collection with me everytime, in case I were to lose it. So I made up this list to keep track of what I had and what I needed. I figured that I would like to share it with everyone.

I guess I just like checking off the boxes when I finally come across a required coin.

Beny

8. jody526

jody526 New Member

So, let me get this straight.
    You don't want to take your album (or a written list, I assume), but you find it more convenient to take a computer with internet connection?
    OK. If you say so.

9. benyjr

benyjr New Member

The list was meant to be printed out. The printout is what I bring with me on my travels. The checkboxes are not functional in the file actually.

Just a note, I have adjusted some settings in Acrobat and have reduced the file size to 2.77 MiB.

Still big, but not as ridiculous as 5 MiB. Hopefully with some more adjustments, I can bring it closer to 1 MiB.

10. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Welcome aboard,benyjr.Have you thought about doing a checklist software package for the Canadian commemorative coins - not just the 25c. coins,I must add,though? There's a few collectors here like myself,John (kiwi01),& Cindy (Twiggs) who could do with such software,considering that there has been a lot of Canadian circulating commemorative coins since the 1992 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of the Dominion of Canada commemorative issue.

Aidan.

11. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

1st off welcome to the forum :hail: now as for the list why not just do a simplyfied one for traveling
    Wants List State Quaters

Tex - p
    NY - p/d

etc, ok you can pad it out a bit if you want proof or circulated but would imagine it woudnt take up that much room :smile I love lists LOL the Mrs now has a hand held thingy that I can stick a card into with ALL my lists on & pics :whistle: She hasnt quite realised this is whay I bought it for her YET LOL

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

benyjr:
    Welcome to the forum.

13. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Welcome to Coin Talk Ben.

Can you say "overkill"?

Since every State quarter prominently shows the name of the state, pictures are totally unnecessary for the purpose you describe. A simple list, with check boxes, could be printed on one-half of a standard sheet of paper with lots of room to spare.

14. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

15. Topher

Topher New Member

I actually like the list. It's not one I'll be taking with me when I go to the US and look for my quarters, and I do also think it is overkill, but to each their own. Having the images is too much for some people, but I think it adds a little something to the list, but I'd rather have it be more like 4 pages instead of 12. Make the images smaller and make two columns with the checkmarks vertically rather than horizontally. That would take away a lot of the "white space" on the pages and be more appealing and more practical. Those are just my opinions, though.

16. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I agree with Topher. And although I now see the purpose of your checklist and how it could be helpfull, I also agree that its overkill. I use simple graphs that I make on spreadsheet programs when I want to keep track of things like that.

17. benyjr

benyjr New Member

Hi everyone, thanks for the great feedback.

While I like the pictures, I can now see how 12 pages is a bit out of hand.

I guess my creativity got the best of me and the size of the document got out of control.

I'll tweak the document, try to shrink the images and cut the number of pages in half.

Beny

18. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Don't worry about going overboard with the creativity; to each his own. Good luck with the project though.

Draft saved Draft deleted