2013 West Point ASE set

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by PeacePeople, May 9, 2013.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm pretty sure you would cancel the whole order. I don't think it allows you to cancel items piecemeal.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dave92029

dave92029 Member

The 30th Anniversary 20 coin set will include five unique coins from the W; S; P; D Mints in these coins variations:

Unc.
    Proof
    Rev Prf.
    Burnished Unc.
    Bullion

...and you can get these sets all three variations OMP; NGC; and PCGS. The ultimate 60 coin set.

4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I think your Unc & Bullion are the same thing - change the unc to an enhanced unc with a CC mint mark and I'd go for that.

5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Maybe they could put the month and the day on them when struck. This would help create small mintages and rarities. Then investors wouldn't need to worry as much. ;>)

6. green18

Put the time of day on 'em too Sam. Then there would be absolutely no more fights about whether or not a coin is 'first strike' or 'early release'..........

7. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

why not issue some large date, small large, large mint mark, small mint mark, large head, small head and so forth.

8. westcoasting

westcoasting Active Member

It doesn't. I just canceled my single order for 4 ASE sets. It asks you if you're sure you want to cancel the line item ... yes or no.

I mulled it over and with silver spot price continuing its downward move, I'd rather get more 'better bullion' for the money instead (Perth mint Year of the Horse, Somalia Elephants, etc.... even get some junk silver coins.)

Going to pass on the uncirculated ASE and those ATB 5 oz. collector's edition also. Pricey & wasn't feeling too confident about quality control.

9. I will NOT be canceling my order for one set regardless of mintage. There will be a day, probably closer than you think, that the US Mint will discontinue the ASE or more likely change the design. When this happens (perhaps in 2015 at the 30 year mark), I believe that numismatic interest/value will significantly increase for this series. IMO, this will happen independent of the spot price of silver. TC

10. statequarterguy

Maybe. I'm keeping 2 and canceling 3, there are better things to put $420 into.

11. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

i agree. everyone is wigging out about the price of this set vs the price of silver, the mintage, etc. guys, noone held a gun to your head to buy it....

i bought my one set to continue my set. i am glad it is the price that it is, otherwise EVERYONE would have bought one and mine wouldn't be as rare as it is (or rather, will be)...enjoy it for what it is...the first of a new strike, super cool

12. statequarterguy

Yeah, if you're a collector, you have to have one. The big problem with the set is it's not rare enough to warrant speculating on it. Maybe a good comparison is the 2012-s proof ase with similar mintage - $60 in pr69 & $100 in pr70. So, chances are you’ll have a coin worth $10 to $20 less than you paid for it from the mint – add grading fees and lose more.

13. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

forgive me, i don't understand what you mean by "not worth speculating on"...other than collectors who is buying these (dealers buying to sell to collectors later are still collectors)

14. statequarterguy

Dealers/speculators to sell to new collectors, down the road, not collectors buying for their collections now. Big difference because the dealers/speculators will put them on the market now, before the new collectors exist, further devaluing them in the short term.

15. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

HSN Coin Vault is coming on in a few minutes. I wonder if Mike Mezak will have some FDOI's for sale with a specific number in the ltd edition yet.

16. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I was going to place an order through the mint but didn't want to wait until September for them to come in.

Glad I didn't though. The wife said she already bought me a PR70 set she found on gold mart for $239! She knows how to make me happy :)

17. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

So if buying a graded 70 set, is it better to pay to almost $40 more for the PCGS graded set for possible reselling in the future or stick with an NCG set that is cheaper?

18. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Do you usually get NGC or PCGS? I do NGC and enjoy the coins I have with them. If the coins really do become that valuable after everyone cancels their order, I don't know if the difference between NGC and PCGS is worth a $40 difference today. But that's just my two Lincolns. :thumb:

19. green18

Good lookin' PCGS/NGC set in '69 or '70. Adequate. Good lookin' set in OGP? Priceless.......:)

20. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

I don't have a preference, I buy the coin I like if it happens to be in a NGC or PCGS holder, so be it. I was speaking in reference to resale value if the PCGS 70 coins will make up the $40 difference or more.

21. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Wasn't there a time before the 2011 anniversary sets came out, (Maybe even 5 years or so) if you had an ASE in a mint presentation case w/paperwork and the cardboard box, you could get more for them than you could graded 69's? I remember selling some to a dealer and he would rather have those than something graded less than a 70 grade. I think that was true on eBay as well? Times have changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted