2013 Uncirculated Mint Set Possible Error?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Johntomk, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Johntomk

Johntomk Member

Has anyone with the 2013 mint set noticed that the Sacajawea dollar from the Philladelphia mint looks like it is a satin finish rather than the normal finish? The one from the Denver mint does not look this way. Could this be an error? I bought two mint sets last year, and both of them are this way. If anyone else with the set could look and let me know if theirs is the same, I would appreciate it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Got some pics?

4. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I just rechecked my SAC's on the one set mint set that I purchased last year. The P's and D's look the same to me and not satin finish. If you have satin finish P's, you may have special sets.

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

It is not uncommon for the quality of the P Mint coins to differ significantly from those of the Denver coins.

This becomes obvious to those that go through the $100 Kennedy Half Bags from the US Mint.

6. Johntomk

Johntomk Member

Here are some pictures. I don't have my light box right now so the lighting isn't ideal. I ordered two mint sets about a month apart from each other, so they were not shipped together. One set I broke up. The pictures are from the set I broke up, obviously.

Denver Mint:
    Denver.jpg

Philadelphia Mint:
    Philidelphia Reverse.jpg

Philadelphia Mint:
    Philadelphia Obverse.jpg

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Intereasting.........I'll dig mine out on the morrow.

8. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I think I remember a similar difference in the P&D rolls I ordered. I'll take a look next time I'm at the shop.

9. Johntomk

Johntomk Member

Maybe someone at the mint didn't get the memo about the satin finishes being eliminated after 2010.

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I hardly think so. You see, Satin Finish was only good during the first year of procudtion. After that, the quality process dropped off rather quickly and junk was the end result.

Satin Finish also gave the TPG's a scape goat in that any coin which was of high quality during the 2005/2010 period, was automatically rated as Satin Finish which was the more common of the two coins available.

I believe that what you are looking at is simply a good high quality coin which was produced using the new Brilliant Uncirculated process which has been incorporated into the production of US Mint Set coins since 2011.

Try not to confuse it as a Satin Finish coin simply because it's an early die state Mint Set coin.

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted