2013 LESPS Dime - error (?)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Odieo331, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Odieo331

Odieo331 Member

In one of my 2013 Limited Edition Silver Proof Sets, this dime looks crushed on the reverse. I was getting used to seeing all the scratched plastic on the front of the case like in the first picture of the obverse but looking at the reverse you can pretty clearly see the issue through the plastic case. I carefully took it out to be sure (gloved) and saw it was definitely on the coin itself.

So, is this something that should be sent to a TPG or back to the mint for a return?

Oh and of course for this thread... What is it worth? :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It appears to be a strikethrough of some sort, possibly struck through grease. Despite the fact that proof coins are processed by hand, mistakes like this do happen from time to time. I'd guess that Mint employees handling them have a tendency to assume that proof coins will always be perfect and don't check each coin as carefully as they should. I have a 2005-S KS Silver Proof SQ that has a strikethrough on LIBERTY.

Personally, I don't associate much of a premium with proof errors like this. That being said, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and we all know that there are plenty of bidiots out there.

Chris

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

that would be something i would want to keep in my collection, so i'd probly spend the bucks an get it graded...

5. Odieo331

Odieo331 Member

Do you send the whole LESPS package in or extract the coin and mail just that? I've never sent a coin in for grading, let alone from a set...

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

not sure, i believe if you send in whole set all coins will be graded and that'll cost you, i'd only send the one coin....

7. Odieo331

Odieo331 Member

Well I pulled the trigger and put this up on ebay. I'll post a link on the For Sale section if anyone's interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted