2012 ASE 2 piece set is scheduled!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by d.t.menace, Apr 24, 2012.

1. A one month time limited sales period means all qualify for First Strike/Early Release/First Release designation. This will not make the flippers very happy. TC

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Thanks Rick......:)

4. green18

It also means that they'll be able to gauge the demand for these things in a short period of time and only mint what collector/dealer demand dictates. Heck, I only want one set anyway.......

5. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

Thanks, Rick. It sounds as though this round will be much less of a hassle.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Maybe it'll put a crimp in the business of the TV hucksters

7. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I'm like you, Green. If you're a collector and not a profiteer, you don't really care how many are minted. On the other hand, just because an item is minted to demand, it doesn't mean it won't appreciate in value. For example, the 2001 Buffalo and the 2009 Ultra High Relief Gold. It's not mintage that determines future value; it's the future demand.

8. green18

Very true indeed.....

9. rickmp

Despite the 30 day ordering window, there will certainly be some shut out for various reasons, but will still want and buy them on the after market.

10. kruptimes

kruptimes Member

How true. With this 30 day window and production on demand, the number of ASE collectors could finally emerge. In another thread the mint had stated they believe there are about 16,000 puck collectors who have bought every issue. This would not be a good yardstick for the ASEs since the time span is far too great. I am more excited to know how many ASE collectors there are than getting a set.
    The mint did good - I'm in for 2, one of which is for my son-in-law. :yes:

11. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I guess that I'm in for one but I said the same thing about the 25th anniversary set. I was getting so frustrated with the slow speed of the mint website that i ended up ordering five in lieu of one. What a big mistake:) I'm thinking the one month window will make this set less valuable in the end. I wonder how it will effect the 25th anniversary set.

12. webomatic

webomatic Member

Since it will be an unlimited mint will the price from the Mint be lower than expected?

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I wouldn't expect a lower price. Anyone who wants one (or five) will be able to purchase them directly from the Mint.

I also wouldn't try to flip them either, there will be plenty to go around.

14. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what will be contained in this set?

15. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

It would probably be a proof and a reverse proof. Or 2 proofs from different mints (isnt Denver minting proof coins soon?). Or maybe a new finish? Like suggested in the possible palladium coins.
    Id like to see a RP and a satin proof with only the fields be mirrored and the devices in 2 different finishes frosty and satin. One can only dream ....

16. JJK78

JJK78 Member

If I recall from another post it will be a Reverse Proof and a Proof coin, both with "S" mint marks.

17. x115

x115 Collector

Thats great the Mint is thinking of the "collector" but if there is a large amount minted then the set won't be as "collectable".

In my opinion the Mint should set a mint limit.

18. It will be interesting to see how many of these sell with an unlimited mintage in that one month window. True ASE collectors will know of this release and will buy it, and there should be plenty to go around. Many people wanted the 25th anniversary set just to flip for profit, and it was hard to gauge how many true ASE collectors were out there. This release may give us some idea of how many people actually collect them. I am guessing that there are fewer ASE collectors than people think and that this set will sell approximately 250K, with about 50% buying for a collection and 50% buying to deal/flip. The collector market will be saturated though, so I do not see much of a profit to be made like what happened in the 25th anniversary set. I think the mint is going to do whatever they can to get a set to anyone who wants one, unlike what happened with the 25th anniversary set. As I mentioned in an earlier post, these all qualify for first strike/early release designation from TPGs so the mint has already significantly reduced the market for unopened boxes like we saw with the 25th anniversary set. TC

19. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I agree T.C. that the market will indeed be saturated with these. I don't know however, that you'll get a true indication of how many ASE collectors there are though by the sales. I think a large percentage of the sets will be bought by flippers and slabbers and these sets will only make their way to collectors indirectly.

I also think that if you're planning on flipping, you better be ordering the minute they go on sale. I would bet the flipping opportunity only lasts for a week or so.

20. rickmp

The mint is thinking of the collector. They are making them available to any collector that wants them. Now, if you really mean profitable, you are right, there may not be very much of an after market premium on these, but that does not mean they are not a collectible.

21. rickmp

There will be a Proof and a Reverse Proof, both will carry the "S" mint mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted