2010 P Roosvelt Dime 100% pure copper?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Carlos Arriaga, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Carlos Arriaga

Carlos Arriaga Senior Member

I found this one in a roll from the Bank. The unbelieving thing is that. In the same roll was another dime with a Cupronickel layer missing. It's a little most funny than this. Because one side is one color and the other side another different color. Thank a lot for your help. Dimension of this are DIA. 0.705" Thickness 0.053" and weight 2.29 Gr. Thank a lot for your help. Edge.jpg Oberse.jpg Reverse.jpg

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

#1: Even US cents of old (pre-1982) were not pure copper.
    #2; The only way it could have happened is on a cent planchet.
    Still not possible, since it couldn't go thru the minting process, as the cent is a larger planchet.

#3: PMD

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

If a planchet gets stuck in the annealing furnace, then it can take-on a copper color. If genuine, we call this "struck on a sintered planchet".

A 100% copper color can also be PMD as Treashunt already stated.

The 7th coin in this photo is a quarter struck on a sintered planchet. Notice how it is copper color. Sorry, I could not locate a close-up photo.
    Lighthousebox1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Found this old photo depicting my 1988 quarter struck on a sintered planchet.
    1988 Quarter on Sintered Planche Slab.jpg

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

No doubt, the dime appears copper plated.

7. Carlos Arriaga

What "TEST" you recommend, to be sure about this happen? Because the color is absolutely copper. but discolored. Guess in a copper plated we see most shiny reflection.

8. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

This may well be an improperly annealed planchet. The term "sintering" is outmoded and inaccurate as there is no fusion of copper dust involved.

9. Carlos Arriaga

Mike. IMPROPERLY ANNEALED PLANCHET it's considered a Mint Error? o that's happen in another different place? Most seem like this happen with this dime.

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Weight the coin.

11. Carlos Arriaga

Weight is 2.29 Gr.

12. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

That was in the OP. Certainly out of spec overweight.

13. Carlos Arriaga

I think that is it: IMPROPERLY ANNEALED PLANCHET. That was in the same roll with the 1999 D Dime, (probed) 1 missing layer. Both of them have the same copper color. (the 1999 D only on the reverse).

Draft saved Draft deleted