2001 P Rhode Island Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Viper5, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Viper5

Viper5 New Member

I found a 2001 Rhode Island state quarter that is definitely not normal. There is no reeds on the side of the quarter, it is perfectly smooth. When you look at its side, you can clearly see the split between the alloys also, and it is thicker than the normal quarter. The backside of it seems like it was not completely punched, everything is kind of flat and dull, but not in a worn out way. There seems to be no diameter difference between this and any other quarter, and i have no way of measure its mass to see if it weighs more or less. The ridge around it also seems to be a little deeper or more defined or something.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

Hello and welcome to CoinTalk. I believe that has been smoothed or grinded down, that is worth 25 cents. It's called PMD or post-mint damage.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Commonly called a "dryer coin". The edge has been flattened and smoothed by the action of rolling around inside of a dryer for an extended period of time. It's ot a mint error and has no value over face.

5. Viper5

Viper5 New Member

I don't think it is a worn out coin because the edge is mirror smooth and there is 0 signs of it ever being touched. I think it was never "reeded" when it went through

6. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

7. rickmp

Right you are! Why, then, did you need to ask our opinion?

John Burgess likes this.
  8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Because he doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground?

9. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

You're entitled to think whatever you wish to believe.

However, these are a dime a dozen on craigslist, and I've seen some unscrupulous sellers, who have also been asked to pack up and leave, at local coin shows trying to pass these off as a genuine Mint error.

The fact is, it's easily done, and you've received several, experienced opinions; which I happen to agree with, as to this being a PMD coin, worth face value only.

I bet if you actually measure the diameter of the coin, it will come up short of the 24.3 mm it should be.

10. Sumkid99

Sumkid99 New Member

I have the same type of quarter... 2001 Rhode Island D quarter with NO REEDS on the sides... It is not, in fact, just a "circulated coin that lost its reeds over time in a dryer", because my quarter is uncirculated and you can tell that it's not just some worn down quarter with no reeds... I've been searching online forever to find a similar case, but this is the only other official report looking like mine

11. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

Do you have pictures? If you're sure it's the real deal I'd send it in for grading. It's right around 90 dollars or so.

12. Sumkid99

Sumkid99 New Member

Here it is

Attached Files:

13. Sumkid99

Sumkid99 New Member

If I could get it in better quality you could tell that it hasn't whatsoever been filed/worn down

14. rickmp

Two things.
    Handling a coin with metal tweezers is not good for the coin.
    That coin did not come from the mint like that.

GH#75 likes this.
  15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Agreed on both parts.

However, evidence of where the reeding was can clearly be seen in your photos. It has been flattened out...probably by someone "spooning" the coin which also explains why it has such a tall rim. This could has post mint damage.

16. Viper5

Viper5 New Member

So everyone still agrees mine is a worn out not a mint error coin?

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

More pics would help. The current photo has a most 'medalic' feel........

[edit] Oh, I see you've since posted more pics. Well, I can indeed say that it didn't come from the mint that way......

18. Leann Ritchie

Leann Ritchie New Member

Can someone help me i found this 2001 rode island quarter and its flat on one side it looks like it came like this from mint cuz its not crushed the words are placed where they should so i try to see if there where any other ones but couldn't find any my question is how do i find out if its worth anything or if it happened after what do use think

19. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Welcome to CT. Without some good photos we can only assume for the moment that it is Post Mint Damage

John Burgess likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted