1992 close AM cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by bullnuke, Sep 21, 2009.

1. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

That is a nice description of the importance of the initials when ID'ing a ' CLOSE ' or ' WIDE' am cent. I wonder how many ' AM or A M ' 's were missed because only the spacing of them was used to ID the cent? 1992's especially. I've had many close calls that caused me to jump out of my chair.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kent

Kent Junior Member

Yep I have had some close calls and I didn'tknow about the initials I will have to check those to varify. I don't know why I am concerned about finding the CLAM when I search about 500 to 1250 cents a week and have yet to find a WAM. It is funny too because living in Texas I get mostly D mint coins right, but for '92's I get more P's and for '98, '99, and '00 it is back to D's as usual. I am not quiting the hunt I figure the laws of averages will land me a WAM, as far as the CALM well I am not holding my breath.

4. micheldura2

micheldura2 Senior Member

1992 cam

Congrats on the find!!! I think we all can say we are looking for this one... I thought I had one this past week..looking closer I find that it is not..awww but I will keep looking for one...or two..lol I live in South Alabama...so maybe that's where the rest of them are..ha..Used to live in CT...right close to Gales Ferry. Beautiful place to live and nice people. Congrats again!:hail:

5. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Hey Kent, then a '92-d' is very possible for you to find. I'd stand on my head, spit nickles, and whistle Dixie backwords for one. It's strange, I just started coin collecting(1 1/2 yrs.) and right in the beginning I found my ms65 '99' wam. I still consider myself a novice and a very, very lucky one at that. So keep searching. I think the best finds come after a month or two drought. Also here in the Northeast there seems to be more of a prevalence in the AM varieties. zeke

Chad75 likes this.
  6. jwwahly1

jwwahly1 Junior Member

7. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

8. bullnuke

bullnuke Junior Member

Just got the coin back from PCGS today with the correct designation. They even threw in a free slab holder to keep it in :smile. Based on my computer accumen(not sure if I actually attached anything):computer: I will add the number off the slab 412710.62/15668957

Kie

Attached Files:

• PCGS.jpg
      PCGS.jpg
      File size:
      179.1 KB
      Views:
  9. jwwahly1

jwwahly1 Junior Member

can you post a pick of the reverse please, and nice find, a true needle in the haystack

10. bullnuke

bullnuke Junior Member

Thanks. Here is the reverse

Attached Files:

11. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Thats nice. Hope you keep it in a security box at your bank. Seems to be alot of posts about coin thefts.

12. micheldura2

micheldura2 Senior Member

1992 closeAM

Yea for you! Like someone mentioned,...a needle in a haystack. I have been looking, and looking and looking and looking.......and I will keep looking, and looking...congrats on the great find!
    Michelle

13. Fender

Fender New Member

IMG_0797.jpg IMG_0796.jpg I am new to this so any help on to identify would be great.
    I believe I have a close AM on this 1992 no mint mark. Photo not great (took with iPhone).
    Thanks

14. headlessblade

headlessblade New Member

amazing lmao i never knew that minor things like that would make a coin so valuable... i guess i need to get a magnifying glass

15. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Doesn't look like a CAM to me, but I can't be sure without better pictures.

I've probably looked at a few thousand 1992's with no CAM to show for it... a true rarity.

16. Fender

Fender New Member

You may be right - clearly I'm no coin expert

You may be right - clearly I'm no coin expert however I have compared side by side to
    Other 92's and clearly space difference.
    I cant tell a difference to the 1996.

I probably need an expert to evaluate.
    Thank you for your comments.

17. Merc Crazy

Dirt and other types of spotted/streaky discoloration like that can fool you. I'd know, swore I had a 1992 CAM until I checked it out under a 15x loupe. The "A" on yours doesn't look quite right to me.

I should add the true tell on WAM's and CAM's is the designers initials, and yours seem to be obscured. Your iPhone, without any kind of magnifier, won't take a clear enough picture of them for us to be able to distinguish, anyway.

18. Fender

Fender New Member

92 am

I do have a 10x loop however the coin has some build up due to age & elements etc. I don't know that much about coin collecting do's and don'ts therefore stuck at this point.

19. tinytinkerbell

tinytinkerbell TinyTinkerbell

andy, do you have any idea what the 1992 D close AM's or worth? yes, yes i have one!! i've never had a coin graded or slabbed before and i don't know what to do/where to go with it.. any suggestions?

20. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

That looks like a normal 1992 WAM to me.

21. Merc Crazy

Depends on condition, but nice, mint-state CAM's are worth $1k+

Draft saved Draft deleted