1978 Dime reverse error, what is it?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ccgold, Jul 1, 2012.

1. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Having some knowledge of the coin manufacturing process helps in determining what can and cannot happen to a coin and why it can or cannot happen.

When a coin is struck, the metal of the planchet moves in a predictible way to fill the voids in the dies and collar. If something iinterferes with that or if there is damage to the die, it can be verified easily.

In my short time here, I've learned a lot from the experienced members here. Some of which are the top experts in the country.

It's okay to question the responses in order to understand more clearly, no one is going to fault you for that.

We have had some members post coins that were obviously PMD (post mint damage) and refused to believe it and have left angry because they still believed they had found the holy grail of error coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ccgold

ccgold New Member

ikandiggit,
    Thank you for your kind reply. I do accept it's not the Holy Grail, but still it's cool. I'll keep collecting and be more cognizant of my posts. I also will read more from here and learn more.
    D

4. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

Is it just me or are there a different number of bands in the torch on the "error" coin and the coin next to it in the comparison pics?

5. ccgold

ccgold New Member

Vertical bands or horizontal? Let me count them

6. ccgold

ccgold New Member

I count 5 vertical bands and 2 horizontal, which are sort of very tight together

7. ccgold

ccgold New Member

Here's a fresh photo.

d1.jpg

8. ccgold

ccgold New Member

Hi all,
    OK I sent the 1978 dime off to PCSG and it came back 38 days later encapsulated with Genuine UNC Mount Removed.
    So here's my question. If it's Genuine, how can it be fully clad. PCGS say's it's NOT plated. So a 78 would show a copper band around the edge. I'm more confused now. I called PCGS and was told by customer service to send them a photo.
    Any help?

9. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

If this coin once had something mounted on it this would be considered damage. I have never heard of PCGS slabbing a damaged coin and calling it genuine. The TPG companys seem to be making more mistakes than they once did. darn if I know , maybe whatever that was on your coin was just laying there and the PCGS worker wiped it off the coin. maybe you can give us some more info. on what they did.

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Post a picture of it in the slab.

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

It's a genuine "non-error" dime that was mounted to something (see ikandiggit's post #8) and had the mount removed. This is info is available on the PCGS website. They will slab this type of coin, though in this case the coin is worth only ten cents.

The following damage descriptions are some of the more common that may be indicated on your 98 graded insert.

1. Graffiti
    2. Planchet Streak Removed
    3. Spot(s) Removed
    4. Surface Tooled
    5. Rim Damage
    7. Surface Damage
    8. Mount Removed (located on either the edge or the surface of coin)

12. ccgold

ccgold New Member

Here it is, I understand mount removed. But what PCGS can't explain is why whole dime is clad in what appears to be silver. There is no copper showing around edge. They say it is not plated. So how can a 1978 be genuine and be fully clad in silver?
    I have blaced out coin serial # for privacy reasons.

dime2 copy.jpg

13. rickmp

Exactly how did they tell you it's not plated? Verbally? In writing?

14. ccgold

ccgold New Member

Verbally. They said if it was plated they would not certify it Genuine

15. ccgold

ccgold New Member

dime comp.jpg

These photos were taken when I got it back, slabbed. Note full "silver" edge on top photo

16. ccgold

ccgold New Member

PCGS mistake?

17. rickmp

It wouldn't be their first.

That coin is plated.

18. ccgold

ccgold New Member

So how I resolve this with PCGS They charged me $79.99 and certified something that is incorrect. Or do I hang on to it.

19. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I would love to know how the folks at PCGS knows for sure this coin had something mounted on it at one time. That would be impossible to know unless you were the one that removed the mount or saw it before it was removed , now they expect everyone to believe that story. Believe it or not , there are some folks out there that are so corrupt they would do something like this or just about anything to try to hook and crook others.

this same coin or one really similar to it sold on Ebay for a high price about 6 months to a year ago and was described as a large cud. I clearly remember seeing it and told the seller it was a altered coin.

20. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I really am sorry this happened to you . If this company wanted to treat folks right they saw right away this coin was not worth a slab so why not just send it back to you along with your submission fees ? This is just the way most TPG's are , In my opinion they are just in it for the cash. look on Ebay at some off the weird labels they fix up for folks. I even saw some coin slabs that said the coins were from a certain collection. that's weird to me

21. ccgold

ccgold New Member

Thank you rascal, maybe I'll hang on to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted