1977 Australian silver jubilee 50 cent piece

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by bugo, Dec 15, 2013.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

My friend from New South Wales sent me a bunch of Australian coins, including pre-decimal coins including a 1948 half penny, a 1952 penny, a 1964 three pence, a 1953 sixpence, a 1961 shilling, and a 1953 florin (the last four are 50% silver, and you know I love me some silver). He also sent me this gem, a 1977 Silver Jubilee 50 cent piece. I was stricken by the beauty of this coin, and it's become one of my favorite reverses (I assume this is the reverse) of all time. I don't believe it is made of silver, but it sure is pretty.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

That is really pretty - I've never seen it before. Confusing - they called it the 'Silver Jubilee' half but all were CuNi.

4. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

In 1989 some of these coins were minted in silver, but the 1977s were all cupronickel as far as I know.

5. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

It's because it was the queen's Silver Jubilee- 25 years as a monarch.

6. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Ohh, gotcha. I actually thought maybe it was something along those lines after I posted.
    I take it 50 years would be a 'Gold Jubilee'?

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Nice coin. This particular coin has literally disappeared from circulation. I think I have about 5 of those but not in such nice UNC condition - you literally have to save it fresh out from a coin roll.

bugo likes this.
  8. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

yes and last year it was the diamond jubilee,nice celebrations 60 years,lets hope for a few more

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

If you want to see some of the other designs, I just created a thread with pictures of mine.

I have a goal of collecting a complete set of Australian coins, but a handful of rare dates and some moderns that are only in mint sets makes it harder.

10. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Thanks for the info. It's not surprising and peoples' tendency to collect anything different and ignore the mundane is why regular issues from this era have big premiums in unc but the commems don't.

I've always suspected this is a better onein Unc but would bet there are countless XF's and AU's still around.

11. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I'm 99% sure it's UNC.

Draft saved Draft deleted