1975 penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ally, Dec 20, 2007.

1. ally

ally New Member

i found this penny that looks to be copper plated, with the date 12-31-74 and below it, it has 1975. on the back it has the crown molding and it is different from any other penny ive seen. anybody have any answers on this penny?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

well, could you post pictures? or maybe the country? im guessing Canada, but guesses dont help much :)

4. ally

ally New Member

it is the united states. i havent scanned it to send picture yet. at work..:yawn:

5. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

well, all united states denominated coins carrying the value of '1' are cents. also, all US cents are copper, or some fraction thereof to be begin with. As for the second date, is it punched in or etched or...???

there is very little that can be said without a picture or 2. So, when you get a chance, try to scan or take a picture or 2 ... if you are able to post them, i am sure doezns of folks will jump on it with theories :)

good luck!

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I have heard and seen these before, but they are normally gold plated. It was a private "commemorative" marking the resumption of legal gold ownership that took place on 12/31/74. I'm not sure why they used a 1975 cent (all of the ones seen are 1975) and not a 1974, but I would guess it is intended to indicate that 1975 was the first year of legal gold, plus the last day of 1974.

8. Casper28

Casper28 New Member

So whats it worth I have 2 of those 75's had them for over 17 years

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Mainly curiosity, as it was done out of the mint, it is damage. Any plating would be so thin, it has no recovery value. Someone may pay something, but not much. Sorry. The thread was last post 8 yrs.

Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted