1974 Penny - 2 Pics on One Side ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tpope1, Feb 21, 2005.

1. tpope1

tpope1 Junior Member

I came across a penny in my collection and wasn’t sure of its value or how rare it is.

It’s a 1974 penny. One side is stamped with the Lincoln Memorial, and the other is stamped with Lincoln,s head as well as a faint stamp of the Lincoln Memorial again.

Any help regarding its value would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry Chicago

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are numerous types of errors this could be. It could also be a fake error. There's really no way to tell for certain without the coin in hand - but pictures at least allow us to have an idea. Can you post one ?

4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Oh gosh here we go again. Only on here have I heard so much about how our coins could be fake and forgeries!!!

5. GDJMSP

Did you ever think that perhaps it might because we try to tell the truth here ?

NOS, it seems you need to learn or become aware of something. That being - of all the people who contact, not only this forum but all the forums, and dealers across the nation wanting to find out information about some coin that they are sure is a great rarity and worth a lot of money - about 99% of those people find out the coin have is basically worthless.

Now I have no reason to lie to you - my participation in this forum is as a volunteer. I've been collecting coins since 1960, and in those 45 years I have managed to learn a good bit. There is still a whole lot more I have yet to learn. But what I have learned - I come here to share with others because I do not want them to make the same mistakes I did. I also come here to learn more. Now that's just the way it is - you can believe it or not - your choice. But if you can't recognize when someone is trying to help you - well that just makes me sad.

6. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

No I understand when someone is trying to help me but I think some of you guys are too biased against them being real and more being a fake!! I aim to prove you guys wrong with the flat haired pennies cuz I am sure you know by now that I have summoned the assistance of someone who has been dealing with errors for over 40 years! +I will get to the bottom of the 1704 coin and do my darndest to prove it real! I kind of think that you guys are just too quick to suggest the coins as counterfeit is all.

7. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum Terry.

The coin you've described is commonly known as a "die clash", and is exactly what it sounds like. At some point, the obverse and reverse dies clashed together, typically, because a planchet (coin blank) failed to be inserted before they struck. Part of the design from each die is emparted onto the other. So the next planchet to be inserted recieves elements of both dies on both sides. Look here for a beautiful example on a Jefferson nickel (that is grossly overpriced)

If you look closely at the reverse of your coin, I bet you'll find a little of lincolns head there, even if its just between the collumns of the memorial.

GD's concern, rightly so, is that this type of error can be faked by mashing a stack of pennies with a hammer, but there will be easy to spot differences from a genuine mint error.

At any rate, its a fun find. I've found two in the last year and nearly lept out of my chair with each find. The resident experts can tell you more about the coin than I can, and a picture will definitely help.

8. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Boom...I don't know if GDJMSP has been conned before or what but I think he needs to chill with suggesting all of our coins may be fakes or counterfeits as it is really detrimental to hear even the suggestion that our coins are.

9. GDJMSP

Would you rather I lie to people and tell them that their coins are extremely valuable ?

I think I'll just stick with telling the truth ;)

10. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

No not at all but I think you should be more cautious about suggesting that all of our coins may be fakes and frauds. We don't all buy our coins off of the streets from vendors of China and the Philappines you know...seriously now.

11. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Attached is a photo of a piece I keep in my pocket, a replica of the very rare 1796 U.S. silver dollar. There are more of these fakes around than the real coins, yet this looks very much like the real thing. These are being minted every day, legally, right here in the U.S., and hundreds of other fake rare coins are being minted all over the world. If you come across a rare coin, the odds are it could be one of these fakes simply because there are so many more fakes than real coins. That is why the third party grading companies do such a booming business authenticating the rare coins and exposing the fakes because it is so hard to tell the difference. An experienced numismatist knows this and can’t make an intelligent decision about a coin without seeing it, sometimes actually having the coin in hand to examine.

A coin as described in this thread could be either a faked error or any of a number of different mint errors. To say anything else would simply be guessing without a photo to be sure.

Experience is a hard teacher. It tests first then teaches.

Attached Files:

12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Yes those are some very good points but reproductions made legally in the US here have to have copy on the back...+I see entirely what you mean but these coins(including my 1704 French coin) aren't worth anything what a Liberty Silver dollar would be worth so I don't see why people would go through all the trouble of faking these errors.

13. GDJMSP

They go through the trouble because they can sell them for more than they cost to make - several times more.

Think of the cent errors - they cost the makers 1 cent and about 15 seconds, or less, worth of time. Now - that means they can make four or more an hour. Sell them for $4 - $5 each - that's a pretty tidy profit.

Every coin - and I do mean every coin - has been counterfeited at one time or another.

14. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Well...now I dunno about EVERY coin hehe...I doubt someone would counterfeit a 1960 Lincoln Memorial cent or a 1000 pesos coin from Mexico dated 1989 that's worth about 2 cents as it is!!!

15. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

No disrespect to you NOS, but it is far more detrimental to carry a borderline heated debate in someone elses thread. Particularly, when the thread has been initiated by a new collector and new person to the forum. It would be far more constructive, to start a seperate thread about the topic of faked coins vs. genuine errors, researching both, ie. how genuine errors are faked, and what are the tell tale sings of a genuine error, sharing your new found knowledge with everyone.

Terry, please do not be daunted from asking further questions at the Coin Talk Forum, this thread is NOT a great example of the excelence I have found here in my short time as a member.

16. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Woah now sir. GDJMSP was the one who brought up fakes here okay. What we both have said comes in perfectly here okay.

17. Metalman

Metalman New Member

tpope1

Iam embarassed by the demeanor of NOS ,, please accept my apologies.

Pennies such as you have described are a known error, and carry a premium based upon the detail of the coin,,

as with most error coins they have been faked and this will need to be determined by a examination of the coin, In person would be the preffered method,

I recommend that you take your coin to a local dealer ,some are knowledgeable in errors and may be able to help you with authenticating your coin,, it is worth the time to do this,,

Thank You
    Rick

18. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Well that's fine that you feel that way Metalman. About bringing it to a dealer to get it verified on here is useless though cuz all of you guys say is that he probly does not know what he is talking about no matter how much experience he has on here!!! Just like with my 99D cent!!

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

<Well...now I dunno about EVERY coin hehe...I doubt someone would counterfeit a 1960 Lincoln Memorial cent or a 1000 pesos coin from Mexico dated 1989 that's worth about 2 cents as it is!!!>
    Well I've owned a fake 1974 Jefferson nickel cast in lead, and I own a fake 1989 quarter cast in white metal. So even coins of VERY little value do get counterfeited. Their are fake coins coming out of China, and not just the Bust, seated, and Trade dollars. They are even countefeiting chinese cash pieces worth as little as 25 to 50 cents.

And we seem to very biased against reported errors because as they said better than 99% of them are NOT real. With that kind of ratio we naturally come across as negative. It is better to prepare the person for disappointment rather than to raise them. Especailly since usually we have no pictures and just a bad description to work from.

20. survivor

survivor New Member

nos

This forumn is not a grading and certification service, this forumn to get information, opinions ect to help us identify our coins, thats all it is for. Basically I take advise and make my own determination, but the only true way to find out what we have is to send it in. never take someones opinion if you have doubts, if you have doubts send it in and when it comes back post what it is. dont use the forumn as a battle ground

21. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Survivor now sir you are talking like a moderator who had a bad day at work!!! Besides how much difference can sending it in make in authenticating them??? You can weigh them yourselves and have 45 year collectors check them in person. I currently do not see why or how sending it to a grading service can be considered gospel. The 3rd party graders are people just like you and I after all and most likely have and use the same resources as us.

Draft saved Draft deleted