1971 Jefferson NO "S" nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jakchota, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

hi guys, I've recently have bought a box a nickels, decided it was time for some hunting and surprisingly I've came across FOUR nickels in one box. if some one can help me with the gradings or the pricing so i know what i can go about for this i would be really happy! thanks again. -Jak IMG_7692.jpeg as seen above in great detail theres no wear to the coin or anything done to it, its in great valuable shape and has its details! below is the reverse of these coins. as shown. IMG_3178.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I get so fed up with April Fool's Day. No originality at all!

Chris

5. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

what do you mean chris? this is real no jokes.. I'm only 18 i decided do to this as my first time hunting.

6. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I can't really help you much with the finer details of telling whether a circulated coin started out as a proof or as uncirculated. Instead, I'll just point you at the odds.

There were over 100 million 1971 nickels minted for circulation at Philadelphia (with no mint mark). There are a few hundred known examples of the 1971 "No S" proof nickel.

If you pull four 1971 nickels out of a box, it seems to stand to reason that the odds against them being "No S" proofs are about a million to one. In fact, the odds are even poorer -- most proof coins never go into circulation, so of the very few "No S" proofs that were made in the first place, even fewer of them could possibly be found in circulation.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Those coins ain't 'proof'.......

9. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

i appreciate your help, then again who knows. some one who collected them must have tossed them around in new york! but again 100 million nickels were made. that means the odds of a missed s on it can be higher, if not the price range per nickel would be extremely high just like the silver dollars, am i right?

10. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

how do you know that? the front has very good details, i have other s coins with them and looks like they are proof, but who knows,

11. green18

I'm not seeing any 'mirrored' fields. An impaired proof would still display evidence of that.

12. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

what do you mean by "mirrored" fields???

i have a decent picture between a d nickel and a no s nickel, IMG_2545.jpeg

13. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

There were actually over 106 million "No S" nickels minted in 1971. Straight outta Philly. You definitely have found some well circulated ones.

green18 likes this.
  14. green18

The rims are rounded.....not squared off and wire-like.

15. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

those coins are not proofs! oh.. this thread is an april fool's joke! ok haha :rolleyes:

16. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

as of if the s got worn off or cut it would of impacted that "area" dramatically and would be a COMPLETELY worn coin. i have a 131
    philly never has minted them. only san and denv, san has slipped out many of the no "s"

17. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

no lol, not at all, :eek:

18. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

do you have a picture you can show me an example? because I've seen on other pictures my nickel looks just 100% like it, might have slipped out of a collector took a beating into another collectors hand and a child has cashed the coins and its in my hands now.. ? maybe who knows.

19. green18

Hey Jakchota? Get a Red Book and welcome to the forum........

20. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

sorry its my first day here and my first time officially collecting, tomorrow I'm picking up a box of quarters.

21. green18

Again, welcome my friend, but you've got to arm yourself with some reference material.....

Draft saved Draft deleted