1970 S Small Date Lincoln Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ekdahlj, May 21, 2010.

1. Ca¢CollectA89

Ca¢CollectA89 New Member

Maybe so far so good maybe u can upload a clear close up shot i think its a small date more or likely...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Check the post dates, guys.
    There will be no more photos, I'm sure.

4. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

5. coingenius

coingenius New Member

IMG_20120312_112351.jpg IMG_20120312_112406.jpg are any of these small date

6. james m. wolfe

7. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I have seen that coin, or one very similiar at a coin show. I believe it to ba a Large date. Appearently there are a few of the dies with the 7 almost even with the 0. But it you look closely, the 9 does not look the same as the one on the small date.

How I had to start telling them apart was to purchase a 1970 S, small date proof set. When compared side by side, in hand, the difference becomes a lot easier to tell. But simply put, the inside of the loop portion of the 9 is more closed than the coin you found. Yours points to the bottom of the 7. The small date loop points nearly the center of the 7 and is more closed.

It's a nice coin, and many would mistake it. I spent hours and hours of research, posting my finds etc., before I finally purchased an authentic coin for comparison. I paid $69.95 free shipping for the 70 S proof set with small date cent. The cent is a nice specimen and would come in at about 68-69 IMO. So, I didn;t get beat up too badly. But frankly, without a comparison, I could never tell for certain. Having it in my binder of comparison coins (varieties, DDO, RPMs, etc) saves me hours and hours.

gary

8. james m. wolfe

72 s small date??? where can i get one?

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

10. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Noted,.......and corrected !!

This one hand typing with such a small brain to control it create a lot of errors.

Thanks !

gary

11. doodles2017

doodles2017 New Member

The 1970-S Small Date Penny in the picture

The coin, in my opinion, is worth $40. I could be wrong but the penny looks like it is a AU-58. 58 is a grade of a coin on a scale of 70. 70 is perfect. I wrote this on October 2, 2012. It doesn't look like a proof coin. This is my wholehearted opinion to the best of my knowledge and belief. I hope this information helps. It is definitely a small date coin.

Sixx

12. doodles2017

doodles2017 New Member

I don't think it is a DDO. (The 1970-S small date penny) I would have to see the coin in person to know for sure. For your sake - I hope I am wrong.

Sixx

13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Doodles, do you realize that this thread is more than two years old?

14. doodles2017

doodles2017 New Member

Yes, I did see the question originated in 2010 but, in my opinion, no one answered the original question in full: What do you think my coin is worth? Secondly, give me a break - it was my first day on this website. Thirdly, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer so can you please tell me where I can find the dislike button on this website?

Sixx

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It was an observation, not an attack.

Draft saved Draft deleted