1970 D nickel struck through grease?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coinrookie85, Aug 11, 2012.

1. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

struckthrugrease.jpg

went to the bank for work yesterday and they put a roll of unopened 1970-D nickels in my change order, so naturally i bought the roll. after looking through my red book i realised these coins were worth nothing so i decided to crack open the roll and check through all the coins. then i stumbled across this guy and figured id keep it seperate in a 2x2. i am wondering if i am correct about this being struck through grease, and i am fully aware that this "error" doesnt commend a premium. but still going to be a keeper regardless.

thanks,
    chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

From what I see, I'd say it's just wear.

4. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

how would it wear being in a roll for 40+ yrs? dont get me wrong, i am learning about this stuff. just inquiring

5. ikandiggit

It may have been a roll of 1970 nickels put together by a collector.

6. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

ok, just thought that it was stg due to the e in cents being barely visible and stuff around it was halfway raised. Paid fv for roll so either way

7. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

Btw this was a crimped roll and paper was definitly old. All coins matched with luster and condition. Also 1978 was written on roll so im assuming that it was put together that year from a previous unopened roll issued when coins were minted

8. VDBforDave

VDBforDave Lincoln Error Collector

Looks like normal dinks,scratches, wear and tear to me:)

9. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

They could have been made yesterday for all you know

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWIST-N-AND...073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a0892b61

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-Antiqu...87?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20c4d14047

10. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

I guess you would have to open the roll yourselves to understand these were never in circulation to have normal wear and tear. Either way I know its not struck through grease now. Thanks for the info

11. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

True dsmith. I know for a fact it wasnt made yesterday, but 5 years 2 years ago I cant argue with that. IMO these coins have not see circulation and if they did, someone pulled them right off the shelf and kept them...but who knows im probably wrong....

12. ikandiggit

The person who rolled it may have pulled out the best grade and replaced it with a spender just to keep the roll full. Who knows.

Stranger things have happened. I've opened mint bags where almost every coin had greasy black fingerprints all over them.

13. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Are the steps struck through grease? It should be missing some details. If you did find this in a bank wrapped roll, it would be an error. I know there is an error called excessive mint damage. Grease strike through idk?

Heres a grease struck through nickel I have in my collection.

grease.JPG

14. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

A coin could be in circulation only a few months and show that kind of wear. Nobody knows how it all got put together. The only thing I can decipher from the photo, is that this is not from a mint BU roll or bag. It's been around the block a few times.

15. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

Will take picture of obverse

16. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Ive seen similar "nicks" and scratches on other uncirculated strike throughs. I have a quarter strike through that I found in a sealed bank roll. I submitted it to NGC and it never got an ms grade. It didnt get a grade period. Just the error acknowledgement.

scerr.JPG scerr1.JPG scerr2.JPG

17. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

Excessive mint damage - really? I'll eat my sock if I find that on an NGC, PCGS, or ANACS slab. Stop talking about things like you know what you are talking about.

18. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

I love finding fingerprints in unc rolls. The first time I seen some it really irked me. Now when I see fingerprints I imagine some mint worker spotted a few errors and was trying to pick them out. Funny we're talking about strike throughs. When I see those black fingerprints, a strike through always seems to be nearby.

19. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Alright Rob. An NGC grader told me about that error at an ANA seminar I attended at the 2010 Worlds fair of money in Boston MA. I thought it was pretty funny myself and even laughed at the teacher and told him that if I found a coin in an unc roll with a lot of damage NGC would never attribute such a grade. He assured me that he would.

20. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

Find it printed on a slab ..

21. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

The 1970 D nickel is notorious for weak details and worn dies. It is at the end of the era for those dies. In 1971 the dies were reworked, if you put a 1971 next to a 1970 D or S you can see the details have been made much more defined and sharp on the 1971.
    This is a normal 1970 D. To find a sharp MS65 with step details would be difficult and even tougher in full steps which would be a very valuable coin.
    One time I came across about 5 rolls of uncirculated 1970 D nickels. None had 5 full steps, some came close, maybe 5 or so and some others were pretty good examples that I felt deserved a 2x2. Most were weak and looked very much like yours. They went out into circulation.
    A good way to find a better 1970 D or S I have found is in the mint sets or cut mint cello singles you often find in bargain boxes at coin shops or shows. The mint sets seem to have better examples than what I have come across elsewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted