1966 us silver quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by justin_case, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Thank you Doug. I always thought that SMS coins from 65 - 67 could be DMPL. My mistake.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Sometimes when a Punch in Blanking Press becomes just a little worn it can fold the clad layer over the sides and hide the copper core giving the coin the appearence of a silver coin...

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

They did but they continued making 1964 coins well into 1966 with clad production and 1964 (dated and in a 90% silver content) production occurring simultaneously. They continued making 1964 dated coins through an act of Congress to alleviate coin shortages and hoarding once the new clad coins were released.

There is a very real possibility that a 1966 dated quarter could be made on a silver planchet but very unlikely and quite rare if one is found . My suggestion is to weigh the coin first against a clad quarter. Use a Popsicle stick as a balance and compare against a clad and a silver quarter. If silver, the coin needs to be authenticated, but those coins are incredibly rare and command a very large premuim.

good luck!

5. brett m.

brett m. New Member

Actuially they stoped making quarters with 90% silver in 1964 but the 1965-1969 quarters are about 30% silver. Now if you had a 1964 quarter it would be worth
    $4.05. I'm not sure how much the 66 quarter is worth in silver yet

6. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

Melt for a 90% quarter is $5.74 (coinflation.com) and where does is say that 65-69 quarters are 30%?

7. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

Must be talking of halves; those dated 65 - 70 inclusive are 40% silver. 65 - 70 quarters are clad.

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

The only coin from those SMS 65-67 that was silver was the Kennedy half, 40% silver clad.

9. BUncirculated

Where do you get your information from on a 30% silver quarter?

Go pick up a Redbook and read the information on the Washington quarter from that. They were copper-nickle clad from 65 on for business strikes, there is no such thing as a 30% silver anything.

10. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I think every once in awhile, a new member just likes to add a silly comment onto the end of a 16 month old thread.

11. Shamrock111

Shamrock111 Member

but still not picture?

12. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

You are extremely lucky! It is a 1966 quarter that is SILVER colored! WOW!

13. BUncirculated

I actually think the newb believes his statement that 65-69 quarters were 30% silver.

Draft saved Draft deleted