1964-D Lincoln Cent minted on silver dime planchett.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Rare-Tim, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

I was wondering why it was this color. This is how I found it!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

I have like twenty ranging from 1951-1964. 1392577662355.jpg

4. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

They're all small with little pieces the dime design on them. 1392577978329.jpg

5. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Huh? What "little pieces" of the dime design?

Chris

7. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

The silver has the dime design.

8. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

How much can u guesstimate this bad boy is???

9. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

U can see the torch and little pieces of the tree.

10. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

There is a letter under T in CENT on reverse side.

11. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

In the word America, there is an S on reverse side.

12. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

The "silver" is paint.

13. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

If u look through the memorial bays you will see the trees. Come on man.

14. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

U ever seen a dime?

15. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

I hate posting coins on this place. There is no paint. Some kind of lamination problem. But you obviously dont know too much about these.

16. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

17. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

If it was really struck on a dime planchet, the coin would be entirely silver-colored (no copper color visible), and it would be a lot smaller. You would see parts of IGWT cut off because a dime planchet is smaller than a cent planchet. Sorry tim, but your coin is not a mint error.

And really? Insulting our members? From the threads you post, you should be thankful people still have the patience to help you out, dude.

jallengomez likes this.
  18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I suspect it is the remains of the chemistry experiments to make a cent "silver-dime" colored by plating with zinc. If the coin plated is not cleaned enough. the zinc flakes off. This would produce the 'lamination' appearance you mention. Finding them in a group would strengthen my suspicion of a classroom or individual's experiment failure.

19. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

If struck on a (silver) dime planchet, would/should the coin have a reeded edge, or is that done after striking?

20. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Oh, lord...

Seriously, Tim... think about it: if anyone could dig through a few cents and regularly pull out rare and/or valuable pieces, such coins wouldn't be that rare or valuable, would they? It is not outside the realm of possibility that you will find such a coin someday, but which do you really think more likely: that you're pulling them by the handful, or that maybe, just maybe, you're seeing things that don't actually exist?

It doesn't matter if you're digging through coins for fun or are hoping to find that one big score; it is your responsibility to properly identify and prove the correct attribution for any coins you find, so don't get upset and claim you "hate" posting here when told something other than what you want to hear.

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you don't like the answers, then I suggest you spend the money on a couple of books about errors and how they occur. That's what I did about 15 years ago!

I can see the forest, but I can't see the trees.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted