1960 Peso??

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by GreenFrost, Apr 23, 2007.

1. GreenFrost

GreenFrost New Member

Was wondering if this has any value, Its a 1960 Peso, says Estados Unidos Mexicanos Un Peso 1960 and on the side it says independencia y libertad

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG] to CoinTalk GF.

Which value do you want?
    • Face value (after 1:1000 devaluation) is .00009113¢
    • Bullion value at today's market close in New York is 72.2427¢
    • Standard Catalog of World Coins, 20th Century 2007 34th Ed. ("Krause") ranges from 65¢ VF to $4.50 BU.
    (All values in US currency.)

4. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

Maybe he wants sentimental value or or intrisic value?

5. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

It has value.

Should you find yourself needing to remove slug from a bullet wound, simply place it between the upper and lower sets of teeth.

VOILA !

You have avoided biting your tongue off.

Dang, that was a valuable Peso !
    :p

6. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Come on guys be nice. I have had a few and liked them but traded them away. The silver content is 10 percent. Not much but it's still silver (the coin store guy says).
    Worth 4 bucks.

7. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

It is a billon (.100 fine silver) coin that circulated.It's not a commemorative at all,but it is still from Mexico though.

Aidan.

8. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

I'm just playing.
    :)

Its value is the feelings you get when you look at it.

Consider what banditos may have bought shots of tequila with it, at some dusty old bar.
    Ahhhhhhh, if these coins could talk.
    ;)

9. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

just as a side note rotobeast -- i luv the avatar!! the flying eagle is one of my favorite designs ...

10. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Yup edge lettered and all. The eagle biting the snake too. And the scruffy Morales amigo on the obverse.

11. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I'm really curious how you came up with that value since the OP did not post a picture, nor give any information from which the grade and condition can be estimated. Interpolating Krause values indicates an AU condition being necessary for a $4 valuation.

12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

These are almost impossible to sell for bullion since the silver is so difficult to
    recover. Circulated examples are common.

Uncirculated coins are quite underappreciated and only a couple of the later
    dates are really common. The '60 is a better date.

13. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

With all due respect sir, $4 is what I have been paying to buy them. Four dollars is also the value I have used when trading them. Here in the Northeast USA the peso has a long way to travel from Mexico.
    Maybe in other parts of America they are cheaper and more plentiful. And maybe by mail order or eBay they can be had for under $4 each. Add to that the date of 1960 which isn't seen everyday.
    At the coin dealers and the monthly coin shows an AU coin isn't needed to see prices in the $4 each range.

14. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Do I understand that you pay that price regardless of grade/conditon? [​IMG]

I'd love to find someone willing to pay XF/AU prices for my numerous duplicate lower grade Meiji/Taisho/early Showa Japanese coins. :D

15. GreenFrost

GreenFrost New Member

Ill post a picture of the coin soon

16. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I thought I had explained it fairly clearly. In New England there isn't an overabundance of the 1957 to early 1960's un pesos. When I did buy them they were $4 a pop regardless of condition. I'm not saying I bought every one I laid eyes on. And I am not collecting them now. I own the 1982 one ounce Libertad in BU which is my new avatar ( $15.00). But currently do not own any un pesos nor am I buying them.
    However if I were buying, I would have to pay at least $4 for a 1960. And again I repeat, I wouldn't buy every one. Hoping this puts the issue to rest...
    respectfully,
    Victor

17. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Victor - Please don't be offended by my questions. I'm not criticizing you, just confirming that a practice of paying the same price for any coin, regardless of condition, really exists. This is the first time in 50 years or more of collecting coins, that I have ever heard of such a practice.

I guess that our exchange makes today a successful day - I've learned something I never knew before. :thumb:

18. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

No problem, and no offence. I've been more offended by certain threads you closed! lol
    Anyway the principle is very simple. If the minimum price, the absolute lowest price you can buy a coin at, is $4.00 then it stands to reason you have to pay $4.00 regardless of condition.
    This is not to say you would buy every coin.

19. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

Thanks , Daggarjon.
    I made my avatar myself.
    :)

The Flying Eagle is one of, if not my favorite.

If I see one listed at an auction, that means I HAVE to go.
    :D

20. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

What's the mintage figure for that 1960 .100 fine silver 1 Peso from Mexico?

Aidan.

21. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

Regards,
    Ballabh Garg

Draft saved Draft deleted