1955 "Poor man's double die" is THE REAL THING!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gipnfdl, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

Hi, I'm Greg and I am an independant coin grader aspiring to work for PCGS. Background in insurance.

I joined this group simply to reply to a user who claims to be a national coin dealer, who, if truly a coin dealer, has steered a cointalk member COMPELTELY WRONG!

I mean no offense to this coin dealer. But if the picture posted is the coin truly held by the person who posted it, it clearly shows all of the features of a REAL DDO 1955, not a "Poor man's double die" which in reality is NOT a DD.

The doubling that appears on the last digit (5) of the date was caused by die deterioration. Overused dies begin to errode and this produces the effect called "Die Deterioration Doubling". Its very common, and the same effect is found on the 1953 penny.ast 5
    of the date was caused by die deterioration. When die are overused, they begin erode. This is called Die
    Deterioration Doubling. Not only is this very
    common, but this same type of effect can be seen on other dates
    like 1953.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Wanna clue us in to what you are talking about? And I mean the dealer/clueless sap thing; we already know what die-deterioration doubling is.
  4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Yea I'm lost and I'd like to see the pictures too if you could.

And welcome to CT.
  5. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

welcome to ct, post some pics if you can
  6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Welcome to Coin Talk!

As an independent coin grader you should refer to the DD as doubled die. And most of us have the Lincoln Cent Resource site bookmarked:

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/FAQ/Poormansdoubleddie.html

"The doubling that appears on the last 5
    of the date was caused by die deterioration. When die are overused, they begin erode. This is called Die
    Deterioration Doubling. Not only is this very
    common, but this same type of effect can be seen on other dates like 1953."
  7. jallengomez

Nice find! Plagiarism is always a good way to start out with a first post. Now if we can just find out what the ulterior motive is!
  8. mpcusa

mpcusa Online Dealer of Mpc

Welcome to CT!!
  9. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

OK, I wasn't going to "assume" that everyone on here knows everything, otherwise there would be no need for a forum to discuss such issues. I am new to this, and I am trying to navigate back to the old thread I saw and respond to it properly. No, I don't have pictures to post because I don't own the thread, and I don't have access to the pictures in that thread.
  10. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

Sorry for the typo. Next time I will be sure to spell check to be PERFECT and have it accurately described as DOUBLED with a "D". Thank you for the correction.
  11. jallengomez

Can you point us in the direction of thread then?

I certainly don't know everything, but it just seemed to me that the gist was not different forms of doubling, but rather some deception, so I wanted some meat to chew on.
  12. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

I can see that this is a very unfriendly environment. Why all of the hostility? I thought people could share ideas, not hate. My goal was not to "plagiarize" anything. Nice ad hominem attack on someone just trying to be helpful. I wonder if the moderater on here can tone down the jerks in this thread.
  13. jallengomez

We love sharing ideas when they are our own, but when those ideas were originally someone else's, we do give proper credit where it is due.

I'm an old philosophy major so I'll be the first to point out to you that you don't seem to understand argumentum ad hominem.
  14. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

You are an anal retentive jerk. Quite honestly, I'm just going to block you as I have already stated in my private message (which is now public). What the heck is your problem man? Get a life. And yes, I do understand ad hominem attacks, and I couldn't give a rat's butt if you are a philosophy major. Also, I was not trying to pass something off as being my own, and this AIN'T university pal, so I don't need to put in citations etc. Stuff it in your ear.
  15. desertgem

desertgem MODERATOR Senior Errer Collecktor Moderator

Ok, first things first...Welcome to the forum gipnfdl !

Secondly, it is not helpful to start with the statements as you did without some reference. Since it appears that you know
    the thread, go to the top and right click on the title. It should ask if you want to copy the thread location. Click on that and then come
    back to this thread and post it using the link symbol ( globe with a link) to insert it. Then we all will see what you are talking
    about. Then we can comment on it properly. Also moderators watch attitudes and language closely in this forum, so please take
    a minute to read the rules for the future.

Thanks

Jim
  16. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your help with the forum rules. I think some of the more senior members would also do well to review them themselves. I did nothing wrong by posting what I did from the lincolncenter website.
  17. panda

panda Junior Member

i am interested in what thread you are talking about gipnfdl. and welcome!

i obviously am not going to say anything, but i have a feeling on who this "dealer" will end up being. at least it wouldn't surprise me if it was this person.

also i think ikandiggit wasn't trying to be a butt(you know the word i want to say), about the doubled die. i think he only said that because a double die and doubleD die are two completely different things and can cause confusion when you are saying one and really mean the other.
  18. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

Thanks for being a rational voice Panda! :) And you are correct, I can see how that may have caused confusion. In context, (since he saw fit to correct my typo) he knew what I meant. Being nitpicky isn't necessary. I am open to hearing what others say. As for this other thread I spoke of, I have found it, and I have to admit I am WRONG. The dealer I was referring to was actually correct about what he had said. I got it confused between the two peoples' dialogue, and got it backwards. He was actually correct and he was the one who posted the correct picture of the '55 DDO. I thought the first person, who owned a coin had posted it. I misread, and I am sorry for the confusion I have created! Terrible way to start in a new forum I know. Hopefully people have the heart to forgive an honest mistake (and typos!).
  19. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder Supporter

its a troll you you internet noobies lol
  20. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

Excuse you?
  21. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

Just to be straight forward and honest, I don't tolerate stupidity and rudeness. I am not rude to other people and I don't tolerate it. If you have something rude to say, or offensive, or simply not edifying for other cointalkers, don't go away mad, just go away. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.