1954-S Toned Franklin Half – Guess its grade before submittal to PCGS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Glenn5691, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Glenn5691

Glenn5691 New Member

Well, it looks like Grandma’s treasure chest she left me contained more than one gem for me. The photos don’t do this justice and it was tricky getting a good photo with the luster on this being so high.

Going to join the PCGS Collectors Club today so I can start submitting some of these coins I have but here is one I thought I would share. Looking at other Franklin's online I think this one is pretty special. You all get a chance to guess the grade that PCGS will award this and as soon as I get it back I’ll let you know. I’ll be submitting under express so they say it takes 5 days according to their site.

Let me know what you think. There are full bell lines but the glare blocked them in the picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

63, possible 64, no FBL. Mark on the bottom bell lines near the A in DOLLAR on reverse would hold that back from FBL.

Nice Franklin.

4. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

5. Frankcoins.com

Frankcoins.com Junior Member

6. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

64/65 very nice coin

7. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Very nice 65/66. One that I would love to own.

8. Glenn5691

Glenn5691 New Member

Thank you for your ratings on this but to be honest I'm feeling confused by the ratings. I'm attaching some pics of coins right from the PCGS site with the top being a MS64 then the other two being MS66. Both MS66 have dings across all three bell lines and to be honest I believe mine looks better than all of these. Maybe my eyes are going or I'm just biased since this was one of my grandmothers treasures?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Would not surprise me at all.

63? Seriously? Would be one heck of a 63 IMO. Also, the mark will not necessarily hold the coin back from the FLB designation and would be more concerned about in-hand line continuity. While this coin would not FBL at NGC, since its going to PCGS his chances look to be fairly good.

http://www.caccoin.com/reference-sets/franklin-half-dollar-reference-set/

Attached Files:

10. BUncirculated

From PCGS' Designation:

The mark I mentioned, interrupts the bottom bell lines enough it won't get the FBL.

11. Glenn5691

Glenn5691 New Member

I really appreciate the input from everyone as this is a learning expierience for not only me but everyone who reads it. It shows that even though PCGS rated those coins I attached pictures of as FBL they really overgraded them based on what I'm reading here.

My thinking was to compare pictures of graded coins to see an approximate grade of the coins I have but I'm seeing that it's really not accurate. When the coin is in hand they may see something different then what these pictures portray. I just know that when I look at this coin I see one **** of a beautiful coin.

Thanks again everyone and lets all help each other learn more about this incredible hobby.

12. VNeal

VNeal Member

13. BUncirculated

However, based on PCGS' standard for the FBL, those images you posted from their site, are FBL as there is no interruption in the bottom set of lines and they are very distinguishable.

When I opened your thread earlier today, the first thing I noticed, before enlarging the photos, was that mark through the bottom bell lines.

My opinion of 63, possible 64, is based on the what I can see in your photos, which have a lot of glare to them. Perhaps cut the glare down and retake the pics, I might see things that aren't visible in the first set of pics, and my opinion on grade could change.

I am no expert on grading from photos online, nor have I ever claimed to be. I call it as I see.

14. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

So that's toning......

15. BooksB4Coins

Don't take everything you read as law. Go out and take a look at a bunch of PCGS FBL's and you are bound to find a few that received the designation even though they have line hits.

16. BUncirculated

But you would have me take what's on the CAC website as law, even though CAC is not a grading service but a grade/attribution/designation verification service, which is really nothing more than for marketing for sellers of slabbed coins.

You posted their link, not me.

FYI, it is possible the TPG mistakenly FBLed a Franklin that shouldn't have it, they do make mistakes as grading is highly subjective.

17. Glenn5691

Glenn5691 New Member

Tried to get a better picture of the bell lines. That nick is driving me crazy lol.

[​IMG]

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

65+ - 66 . Love the toning and the fields are clean , nice Frankie . With a chance of FBLs .

19. Glenn5691

Glenn5691 New Member

All I can do is throw myself at the mercy of the grading service and see what happens. I didn't mean to get people arguing on here and really was just excited about what I found and was looking for opinions from others.

Grading seems to be very subjective and one can only hope that someone takes all the beauty of the coin into consideration.

Thanks again everyone for contributing as this has been a learning experience.

20. BUncirculated

Much better close up, and no way that hit is going to allow the FBL designation.

I'd be shocked if it did, and if it does; consider yourself lucky.

21. BooksB4Coins

Its possible? Seriously, go look at coins instead of making it sound as if any FBL with a line hit is a simple oversight. I agree with you that the coin should not FBL, but that's not the point is it? You stated that it "won't" when the reality is that its been done many, many times.

Yup, I posted a link thinking that someone (maybe even the OP - what a concept!) may find it informative/useful and just happened to be CAC. Did I say or imply that you should take it or anything else as law? No.

If that is all CAC is you would think they would slap beans on anything... being just a marketing tool and all.

Draft saved Draft deleted