1952 P Choice High Grade Washington/Carver Early Commerative Half Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by COSprings, Dec 29, 2012.

1. COSprings

COSprings New Member

So guys I wasn't paying attention to who graded this coin (apparently they have disappeared now) but I read MS66 and saw it was slabbed. Idk if these pictures are good enough but I was wondering what you guys would grade it as?
    Also, I probably want to get it regraded by someone more reliable so I can resell it. Numismedia has this coin in MS66 at $275, do you think PCGS would grade this the same? Hoping I didn't make a bad buy here. If it is MS66 by PCGS standards, I made a $240 profit, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-P-Choice-High-Grade-Washington-Carver-Early-Commemorative-Half-Dollar-/310535690108?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STR K:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=%2BD1FGD3RSPz1T%2BoDZwnL7mv CC4I%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Please tell me something good here guys!

Sorry for the repost, not sure where to post this.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

The ANI probably graded on their own standards and therefore are probably very lenient on giving really high grades. If that coin was an MS66 in a PCGS of NGC slab you could make that much money but from what I can see that coin would be lucky to get anywhere close to MS66 if sent to one of the major TPG companies. $30 wasn't too bad but you're probably not going to make money on that one. It really depends on what the coin looks like in hand.
    -theSharpGun

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The auction photos do not give enough details, but as an estimation I would suspect MS63-64 range if it is MS rather than AU-58. Again, the photos limit.

Jim

5. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Your downside is extremely limited at the buy price, but I would advise you not to start to sink money into the piece in an attempt to cross it over to PCGS or NGC. The images are very difficult to interpret, but it appears the coin has what is commonly known as "water spots", which are light discolorations within the planchet. This would likely stop the coin from grading at MS66 from either PCGS or NGC, but of course that is not an absolute.

6. COSprings

COSprings New Member

You guys must have not seen the second to last line where I said "Tell me something good here". Oh well, I guess if anything, I learned from the purchase.

7. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

A basement slabber can put any grade on the holder they want. The seller is a rather big coin dealer on ebay, in my opinion, if they felt that the coin was worth sending to a proper grading company, they already would have done so. If I'm not mistaken 1952 is the most common date, but like the others said, you don't have much down side. I can't give a real grade estimation from pictures, but I wouldn't hold my hopes for MS-66. It's a nice coin though!

8. petro89

petro89 Member

I hope it works out for you, and no, you didn't risk much. But wait till you see it in hand cause I'm thinking it might be an AU.

Draft saved Draft deleted