1943 penny -weak/no 4

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by sweet wheatz, Jun 2, 2009.

1. sweet wheatz

sweet wheatz Senior Member

I have noticed several of these pennies selling on ebay and I even have a few of my own. The penny have a very weak 4 or none at all. Is this reconginzed as a variety/error?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Most likely grease got in the die. Not all that rare and not recognized as anything special.

4. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Not anything special although I got a pretty penny for the one I sold on ebey.

[​IMG]

5. just coins

just coins New Member

Just a grese filled die ,
    JC

6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

There 1943 PDS with number missing. I think Steel used for the coins was hard than die they us back then. but that just may opinion.

7. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

If the steel for the coin was harder than the die the whole coin would be obliterated.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

1943 cents with the 4 missing are pretty common.

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

True Rock but maybe the die were a just a little harder then the steel planchetts used???
    because a lot of missing details on most PDS 43 that why MS-64-67 is the norm & MS-68 is unheard of

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is interesting. Per PCGS figures, the most common MS68 wheat cent is the 1943-D, the second is 1943-S and third is the 1943-. Also, absolutely THE most common 67's are the 1943's. NGC numbers show them to be 2X to 3X as common as any other 67 wheat. (Closest being 1816 VS. 988). BTW, the numbers are more extreme for PCGS 67's.

An interesting side to this, my quick mental math says that the 1943- (48) exactly equal the total all 68's and 69 (singular) of all the rest of the wheats years combined.

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I am not a expert.

as you can tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Mike Holt

Mike Holt New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted