1934 Silver penny? =\

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kidany, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Kidany

Kidany New Member

So I found a 1934 silver wheat penny or that is what it seems cuz it is blurry (its not 1943 at least cuz the 193- is clear). I would like to know if it is fake or not or w/e (I couldn't find any information in the web)... I tested it with a magnet and didn't stick so I guess its not zinc? I'm new to this <.<
    coins.jpg
    i don't have a good camera so I scanned it (the scanner isn't so good neither) -.- its the first time i see one like this so i thought it was rare

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

4. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Looks like a well used and well damaged Zinc plated cent.

5. lupinus911

lupinus911 Member

I'd say a 1980's penny with copper removed so that zinc is exposed and 8 just looks like 3.

6. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

7. Kidany

Kidany New Member

it really looks like a 3... but idk. I got this when i went to exchange my piggy bank in a coinstar machine the coin was rejected cuz it was really dirty and when i saw it had the wheat leaves i decided to clean it... turns out it was silver color and I was like wtf >.>

btw... what Pmd means? -.-

8. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

PMD- post mint damage

9. Kidany

Kidany New Member

Looks better here
    mcoin.jpg mcoin2.jpg

...:dead-horse:

10. splintercellsz

splintercellsz CTs Local DJ

Have any pics of the back?

11. Kidany

Kidany New Member

12. splintercellsz

splintercellsz CTs Local DJ

It looks to be HEAVY PMD, with severe discoloration, but I maybe wrong.

13. lupinus911

lupinus911 Member

That is definitely zinc.

14. Kidany

Kidany New Member

ugh sorry ! i didnt know this was against rules XD im still PMDed

15. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

16. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

How can you be sure though? Did you run tests on the metal content of the coin to determine that? ;)

17. The back shows that is a wheat so it shouldn't be that much zinc in it to make it white since those are 90% copper

18. Kidany

Kidany New Member

I may have done something stupid... i tried to check if it was copper by scratching it a bit but it still zinc color. <.< I saw on youtube some videos on how to remove copper from pennies leaving them silver and they use some compound that corrodes copper and makes it easy to remove leaving zinc intact but since those pennies are 95~% copper I still don't see how it still silver color.

19. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Bring it to a pawn shop, many of them have some sort of ray gun that they can point at it and tell you the metal content. And stop storing your coins in running blenders.

20. lupinus911

lupinus911 Member

Odds are pointing to....

FAKE!

21. Kidany

Kidany New Member

yup but who knows... what are the possibilities ...? ill just save it as a lucky charm or w/e =P

Draft saved Draft deleted