1922 D high relief liberty dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Loaf, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Loaf

Loaf Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone is in the market for a high relief 1922 D Liberty dollar.

It appears to be in good shape, has all traits that fit the high relief category, and is a not been polished or cleaned, ever to my knowledge.

edited My Grandfather handed me down a nice set of coins about 20 years ago and i just started looking at values and collectable traits!

This is a nice example and I am not a collector!

edited

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

All of the 1922 high relief Peace Dollars are matte proofs and there are only a handful known to exist. You have a common date circulated Peace Dollar worth about $15-$20.

BTW, you might want to take a look at the forum rules when you get a chance.

PS. Welcome to the forum!

4. Loaf

Loaf Junior Member

Well it has the high relief traits, the nape of the neck is well into the 9 and is marked D with a nice patina on it, it may not be a proof, but it is a D, high relief traits all match- I believe. thanks though - and its been stored since 1942.

I will get professional opinion nex time I am in the city..

5. Lehigh96

I don't see a mint mark on your coin, but that could be from the photo angle. If your coin is from the Denver mint that settles the debate. All of the high relief 1922 Peace Dollars were minted in Philadelphia and do not have a mintmark.

Could you tell me if my 1922-D Peace Dollar has any high relief traits?

[​IMG]

It has a nice patina as well, don't you think?

6. Loaf

Loaf Junior Member

high relief markings

well, upon further inspection, i cant find the d marking on it, I thought it was rubbed almost off. but now looking at it I don't see it matching yours.

Your coin doesn't appear to have the spike going all the way past the N like mine on the front and also your coin does not appear to have the neck actually spiking onto the 9 on the front either .

Furthermore, the lip is rather pronounced unlike yours appears more flush at the edges than mine.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your information.

Further, your coin is much newer shape, and just looks less rare.

7. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Loaf, for your reading pleasure:

3 – Self Promotion – self promotion is not permitted on Coin Talk. * See exceptions

A - Offers to buy, sell or trade by individuals and/or dealers are not permitted in any way, shape or form in threads and/or posts. If you wish to make such an offer, contact the other party by Private Message or email.

B - Posting links to personal sales sites is not permitted. A personal sales site may be defined as any web site of a business that you own, or the site of a business that you work for, or are affiliated with in any way, that offers items for sale.

C – Posting contact information such as phone numbers, addresses and email addresses in threads and/or posts for the purpose of making sales or advertising is not permitted.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t34131/#ixzz0kc8J54Ik

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Let me save you the trouble, you have a quite ordinary 1922 Peace dollar worth about $15, just like Lehigh said.

9. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

This is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

I was unaware that rarity could be determined by surface condition.

All sarcasm aside Loaf, your coin is a common circulated 1922 dollar. It is worth more than $10 and less than $20.

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Loaf, just look at the olive branch where it comes close to the talon of the eagle. Yours is normal, which is the most diffinitive way to tell, as well as the ray that needs to extend well beyond the N, both of which your does not. And, as a side note, extreme wear does not make a coin "more rare" as you would say. In fact, it has nothing whatsoever to do with what is rare and what isn't. Most truely rare coins were recognized as such from the beginning and kept close to mint condition.
    Guy~

11. Loaf

Loaf Junior Member

thanks for your input and opinions, I happen to know that my grandfather saved this for a reason, after WW1, and i will follow up with you folks when i find the facts out..

Thanks for the help guys, I still didnt answer my ? if there was interest in this coin? there are not many left actually, and it is the only dollar wiht the words peace minted on it!

12. Loaf

Loaf Junior Member

thanks, actually the spike extends beyond the N, and the branch has a unique look at the talon, I am not good at macro photos but it has some interesting details..

13. GDJMSP

that's because you are not permitted to even ask that question- as has been explained to you

14. Loaf

Loaf Junior Member

you guys are so funny,, always trying to downplay everyone in the forums, I hope to someday get a nice example of one to have. You can have you fun making fun of me, I am not unrealistic thinking the value is super high or even above the 20 that you claim it is worth. but i have to laugh at you assuming the negative is the only possibility, you guys are funny, now have fun wiht your coins while i go hiking and snowboard about 5000 vertical feet in the backcountry have fun wiht your microscopes and magnifying glasses and beating people down in the forums all day.

15. Loaf

Loaf Junior Member

I am not trying to profit or taint your sacred forums guys,, edited - then please follow the rules

16. GDJMSP

Nobody is trying to beat you down Loaf. We are merely trying to tell you the truth.

17. Loaf

Loaf Junior Member

thanks for caring so much!

18. Lehigh96

Nobody is going to answer your question because it is against forum rules to do so. In addition, the mintage of the 1922 Peace Dollar was 51,737,000. There are currently 194,385 graded examples and millions of raw coins just like yours. Is that what you mean by not many left?

I understand that it is painful to hear the news that a coin that you thought was rare and valuable has no real numismatic value and is really only worth the intrinsic value of the metal, but the people who have replied to this thread are very knowledgeable and have no reason to lie to you. What you do with the information we provide is up to you at this point.

19. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It's tough to find out that a coin you were told was valuable is, in fact, extraordinarily common. But if you don't want the truth, don't come to a place like CoinTalk and ask a group of experts with absolutely no conflict of interest for an honest analysis

20. chip

chip Novice collector

1922 peace dollar- 15-20 dollars,
    Saved by Grandpa since after ww1-priceless.

Loaf, I have a lot of coins left to me by my dad, The sentimental value of them is more than I could make selling them, for some perverse reason the vast majority of collectors do not have the same regard for my dads collection that I do. That does not mean that they mean to demean me or make a sport of me when I brought in a bunch of mercury dimes to my local coin store and the dealer said he paid 8 times face for junk silver.

I did feel somewhat offended by the term, they called my dads coins junk, but it is part of the jargon and nothing judgemental is meant by it. You might realize a bit more money if you offered it to a family member who could appreciate the value of the provenance. Provenance is another term used in collecting which basically gives a coin some history, and can add value, the pocket piece that George Wasshington carried for instance might sell for more than another example of a coin from the same year and in the same shape.

Welcome to the coin talk forum, perhaps getting into the hobby will be more of an inheritance than just the coin that you might sell?

21. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

I keep in my wallet a 1900-O Morgan that my dad got in change the night before his first solo flight when he went thru Naval flight training in the early 50's.

He carried it in his wallet throughout his Naval career, and he gave it to me before I went overseas the first time and I did the same. If one of my kids goes in the navy he'll get it.

There's nothing special about it otherwise, it's a keepsake. Your Peace dollar probably has a story to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted