1921 Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by William DeBerry, Sep 1, 2013.

1. At my local flea market there is a man with a PCGS graded 1921 Peace Dollar. The grade says Cleaned Obverse but I do not remember the rest. He wanted 55 a month ago, then went up to 135 saying the seller has 80-something in it. I have no pics and don't know too many details other than what I have just stated, but if I could get it for 80-90 dollars should I go for it or just wait for a nicer one to come along? It has been sitting there for a month or two with no interest so I feel like I could get him down to 85-90.. but I am still debating on whether or not to go for it or find a nicer one.

Any suggestions??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is wait. The 1921 peace is usually a slow mover in circulated grades and you should be able to stumble upon one for under $100.

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

In general don't buy a cleaned coin.
    A coin with a problem will ALWAYS be a coin with a problem.

Doug21 likes this.
  5. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

For that price you could get an uncleaned one.

6. Thanks for quick replies. I had decided after I posted to pass on it. I think I knew the answer to my question but, as I've said before, I like second opinions, especially from people who know what they are talking about. Thanks again.

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The coin is common as dirt even though it is considered a key date. It is easy to buy one of these that has no problems for little more than what you were quoted. You may save a few dollars in the short term if you buy a cleaned piece, but you will have a bear of a time attempting to sell it in the future. Stay away.

8. windwalker

windwalker Member

This is the only coin I need to complete my Peace dollar collection. I would knowingly go for a cleaned coin because that's the first thing that will knock the value down when and if you want to turn around and sell it at a later time.

I did see an ungraded sample at my lcs and they wanted $130 for what appeared to be either VF or XF and I passed. So I'm still looking and will find one for the price that I can live with.

Draft saved Draft deleted