1917 British One Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Cojaro, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Cojaro

Cojaro New Member

paid $0.50 for it at a coin store

the only visible signs of war that i can se are:
    on the front - ear, above the eye, mustache, beard, hair on head
    but only realy on the high points

on the back - right arm, left hand, a tiny spot of the part ofthe robe that hangs over the shield, and the line between hair and helmet around the ear (only slight) is gone

most of the signs of wear are minimal, and i say i made a good buy for 50 cents

anyone have an idea of value? i'd say about $3-$6 but i don't know all that much about foreign coins ( i really only collect the old old foreign coins, 1800's and such)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Hi Cojaro. I don't think I've welcomed you to the forum before this, so consider it done. :)
    Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Your description sounds like you got at least an XF coin at a fraction of its catalog value. The 2005 Standard Catalog of World Coins lists that bronze large penny at $1 VF, $6.50 XF, and $27.50 Unc. :D

I would interpolate the retail value of an AU at about $15-20 depending on how much luster and eye appeal the coin has.

4. Cojaro

Cojaro New Member

i actaully noticed a slight hint of luster, just slight, on the back

and the only obvious wear without looking deep into it is the helmetline and left forearm, everything else i had to really look at to see if there was any at all

Draft saved Draft deleted