1913 Liberty Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rolltide, Aug 19, 2004.

1. rolltide

rolltide Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

Sorry, I can't buy a $10,000.00 nickel from someone who can't spell "nickel".

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Oh ye of little faith - doubting the word of a zero feedback seller with no pictures to post of his $10K "1883-1913 EXCELLENT CONDITION" coin. :) :D ;)
    From his description it could just as easily be a 1912 Philly. :mad:

5. jody526

jody526 New Member

Yes, satootoko, my faith in my fellow man could use a lot of improvement. lol

6. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

How ignorant can someone be...I wonder if they honestly think someone is going to place a bid on that..You know what though, I don't see anything as far as coins, selling on e-bay for over 10 thousand, no matter what it is. I personally don't believe that the richer people in life are gonna go to e-bay to spend that kind of cash, but, I could be wrong.

7. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Haven't any of you heard of the missing 6th 1913 Liberty Nickel? :D Okay, so all the information states that only 5 were made. But with the credentials of this seller, obviously a 6th coin must have been minted, hidden from public knowledge for 91 years only to surface on Ebay. Luckily, this seller isn't greedy like the other 3 owners. They are asking 2 to 5 million respectively for their coins. At 10 grand, such a bargain shouldn't be passed up :D
    Now if I could only find my checkbook.................

Okay, a serious note. Many of you know that my firm does not use Ebay, and sometimes it may seem that I bash it a bit. Of course, sellers like TRADERNICK, stand out in that group. This is one of many reasons that keep me from even considering using such a site. Now some will say, that this particular auction has no chance of fooling a collector, and you are right, but how many do get fooled by cheap prices?
    Anybody ever hear the saying that "If are not with me, you are against me"? Does Ebay help or hurt the hobby? I know that it allows many good things, and allows many people to buy and sell coins. Maybe I am just too critical. I don't claim that all dealers are good for the hobby either.
    In my very humble opinion, any avenue that allows customers to be blatantly ripped off, is one to avoid.
    The ANA is working this weekend to provide some answers and tips about Ebay and is trying to implement their rules of conduct. While I hope for the best, Ebay has a good reputation for not getting involved.
    Here is one parting thought.

Everyone I know that uses Ebay as buyer or seller uses the same quote:

BUYER BEWARE

Might just be some wisdom in those words :D

8. spypondac

spypondac Member

Comment for "National Dealer"
    Your quote "BUYER BEWARE" in reference to Ebay should also be
    used used for several large advertisers in a major national coin
    magazine (not tne ANA Numismatist).

9. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

You're so right. I just had a run-in with one of those last week. I won't mention names, but I got ripped off worse from this guy than I ever have on eBay. :(

10. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

There are a few Morgans selling for tens of thousands of dollars, and more! Take a look . . .
    http://search.ebay.com/Morgan-Dolla...ZR10QQsosortorderZ2QQsosortpropertyZ3QQsotrZ2

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ebay has had individual sales completed that went over $1 million dollars.

12. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

RBM, I don't see anybody bidding on any of those coins that are over 5 thousand dollars...I wasn't trying to say that no one with a budget over 10 thousand dollars would ever be on there, it's a slim chance that anyone with that kind of cash would actually buy something off off e-bay that is over 10 thousand, if you had 10 thousand dollars, would you spend it all at e-bay, instead of going to an actual shop, or show? Where you actually see the product. My personal opinion, I think it's ignorant to spend over a thousand on e-bay, there are too many possibilities that could go wrong.

13. rolltide

rolltide Member

Well....most likely...people that have a million dollars to spend on a coin have enough money to gamble on ebay. And if they're ripped off.....it's just pocket change.

14. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Pennycase, the only exception that I can see is having a relationship with that particular seller, or that seller happens to be a recognized dealer.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Or the coin happens to be graded & slabbed by a reputable company and is being offered by a seller with a good reputation as well.

If there was a $10,000 coin on ebay that I wanted that met the above criteria - and I could afford it at the time - I'd buy it in a New York second ;)

16. Vlad

Vlad Senior Member

i saw someone selling Constantine rouble(rarest russian coin) for 200k with 0 feedback.
    last time it was for sale, in 30-ies, it was bought for 50k.

Draft saved Draft deleted