1891 Morgan CC I just picked up at auction

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Silver4Me, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Silver4Me

Silver4Me Member

Grade and value please?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'd say vg 8 possibly cleaned not sure on value on a circ 1891 as I dint have any references here (I'm on the road ) and primarily know the date in ms

4. Silver4Me

Silver4Me Member

Vg8 really :( I need to learn to grade coins I keep taking hits like this :(

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Is a bit better on a better look I'd say f-12 but I do believe it to be cleaned/ altered surfaces as I said not a coin I'm as good with in circulated grades my 1891-cc is ms-64

6. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

I would guess it's fine, but cleaned based on what I can see.

7. Silver4Me

Silver4Me Member

What's the best way to tell if it's been cleaned?

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It is always best to take the coin out of the holder before photographing.

9. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I don't know what yall are seeing in the pictures that looks cleaned. It looks to me like a typical circulated Morgan. The toning seems to be an even, lighter gray with gunk picked up during circulation sticking close to the devices. I'm certainly not saying that it couldn't be cleaned, and the shadows/glare in the images are kind of confusing. I just don't think I see the flat shininess that I would expect from a cleaned coin.

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The fields look a little questionable...maybe cleaned, maybe not. Hard to tell in the photos. I would say this is probably a F12 or so.

11. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Do you always buy your coins based on hope verses knowing what their worth before hand? VG10 cleaned.

12. strauchfx

strauchfx Member

Fine condition, as far as value I would peg it around $95-100

13. coinwarrior728

coinwarrior728 New Member

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I think he would entertain your offer. :>)

15. coinwarrior728

coinwarrior728 New Member

Nice to be kind not rude. But it has been cleaned previously. Pictures not to clear, but from where I sit it is F/ XF Details. Just an opinion, Not an expert. :)

saltysam-1 likes this.
  16. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I know what your saying. That's why I always put a smiley face at the end of my statement, when I say it in jest.

17. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Looks like it's been cleaned. Detail wise I'd put it at F12 or F15.

18. Silver4Me

Silver4Me Member

I'm still new to collecting I've done a lot of research on types now I'm learning to grade. I picked it up because it's my first cc I only paid $75 for it. Not to be rude but it's my money not yours I sold off some coins to have money to go the auction so I didn't lose anything. I just wanted to know a grade to price it myself. You where on my shoes at one point just looking for more knowledge and advice not scrutiny thanks.

19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Then I would suggest a good routine for buying at auctions. You must take advantage of the viewing opportunity before hand. Hopefully a day or two ahead of time. Research the items you wish to bid on and write down the maximum bid you will place on them. During a fast pace auction, you know exactly where your stop point is and what you plan to spend. Don't get carried away on the amount of items you wish to bid on. You must be prepared ahead of time rather than make judgement calls at the auction itself, or after the fact when it's too late.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

For $75 I don't think you got burned. You didn't get a screaming deal either.

A first CC Morgan is a big step in collecting...enjoy it. Also, learn from it. This coin has been cleaned...learn to recognize that. Most importantly, enjoy your coin.

21. Silver4Me

Silver4Me Member

thank you everyone for your advice and thoughts. I'am learning everyday and love this page and all of your help. I do realize i need to pay more attention before flying off the deep end in a auction. thanks again and happy collecting!

Draft saved Draft deleted