1888/7 indian head penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 74man, Feb 25, 2009.

1. 74man

74man Junior Member

My boss didnt want to pay the price for his bank box so he decided to get rid of his coins which has been left to him by his grands. He had alot of coins, I sent him to a buyer cause his Morgans rated g3 and below. He also had 28 indian head pennies. I bought them from him for a dollar apiece, most in g3 or better. I was looking in my 2009 Red Book and came across a picture of a 1888 over 7. I got my loop and it looks exactly like the picture in the Red Book. I would like to know for sure but I don't know where to ask for help in identifing this as an 8 over 7 or not. Can someone give me some information as to how I can go about verifing this coin? Can I send it somewhere to authenticate it as an 8 over 7? What does it usually cost to send it somewhere, to a professional? I would like information on how to find out for sure. Thanks you to all who answer.:confused::eek:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Welcome to the forum!

The best and most inexpensive way would be to post a detailed photo of mainly the date area. There are several experts on the forum who could tell you if it should be sent in for authentication. I believe the redbook illustration is the Snow-1 variety. Rick Snow is a member of the forum also, but a good photo would be needed to even advise on it.

Jim

4. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Definitely. Small die chips, etc., can mimic overdates. If you can get us a clear picture, we'll try to either save you $30, or tell you that it's well worth the money to try.

5. 74man

74man Junior Member

Van, I will try to get a good picture as soon as I get my ditigal back from my daughter. Don't know how good the picture will be but I have a lighted magnifing glass so if all goes well I will have a good picture to post. Will keep you advised or maybe edit the above post with a picture. I am not a genius at the PC so it could take me some time. But I will try to get a good pic.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

For the 1888/7 Snow-1, the last "8" in the date as well as the rim area over the "UNITED" where a cud is seen in all coins over VG is the important areas. If your is more worn, the date would be the key point.

Jim

7. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

I hope to see your pics. If you found a Snow-1, the verified 1888/7 overdate, that would be a real find! I believe there are under 30 known to exist, and are very sought-after.

Draft saved Draft deleted