1877 Gold 20 Kronor Doubling??

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 19Lyds, Mar 15, 2014.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I know very little about di9e doubling and the various forms of worthless doubling on Gold Coins so could someone post their opinions on whether or not the coin below is doubled die?

1877 20 Kronor-04D.JPG 1877 20 Kronor-10D.JPG 1877 20 Kronor-08D.JPG 1877 20 Kronor-07D.JPG

jj00, Derick and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

It's been a while since I've tried to tell the difference between strike doubling and die doubling, so I'll refrain from answering that question. But I will say that, even if it is die doubling, it is unlikely to carry any premium. To quote medoraman in an earlier post:

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/any-extra-value.244054/#post-1882751

5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Although most of it looks like die wear, the split serifs seen strongest on the I's and a couple other letters make a case for die doubling. And that actually would add a value premium. Not as much as on a modern coin, but still sizable.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

a shot for a DDO

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Can we see a picture of the whole coin ?

8. 19Lyds

Sure.

Kronor 001.JPG

Kronor 002.JPG

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It's either a double die or completely repunched letters. Now, repunched letters are common on older Scandinavian coins, but one or two letters. Never seen the entire legend repunched. I think the most likely conclusion is die doubling. The N's in "Konung" appear to have clearly split serifs as do the I's, maybe even more pronounced on the close-up.

10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  11. GDJMSP

Could be wrong but I think you've got several things going on there. I think there is die doubling, mechanical doubling, and Longacre doubling, all on that one coin. And in some cases, 2 of them on the same letter.

jello likes this.
  12. 19Lyds

All bastardized up heh?

Well, I've got two of them while a third example is nothing like them and since I don't really do gold, I was just curious.

Thanks for all the replies.

13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Your coin's a friggin mess, Lee. Your welcome. :)

14. GDJMSP

I asked to see the whole coin because when I first saw your pics I wondered about the idea of it having been double struck, but I don't really see signs of that after seeing the whole coin. I think it's just one of those cases where several different things just happened to happen to the same coin.

15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I am amazed on this coin just wonder what Diamond ,Potter or Wexler would say. Discovery ?

Tpg Details ?
    Coin just Very interesting!!!!!!
    :) also Gold adds a plus.

16. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

17. 19Lyds

1877 20 Kronor-13D.JPG

jello likes this.
  18. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Could this be a Re-punched date???
    Any expert have knowledge of 20 Kronor die variety for this coin?I do Not or should Potter or Wexler Take a look at this coin???

Draft saved Draft deleted