1865 Quarter Eagle

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by t lafferty, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Yes. One of the few things I do not like about this site is people giving advice when they really should be keeping their mouth shut, because they don't know what they're talking about.

(Possibly 1 in 50 remaining - "sell it for 13% over melt"?. Good grief.)

Burnside_Q likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I sure hope the OP comes back with pictures...

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Agreed. If the coin is genuine, it is worth FAR more than melt. This is a very rare coin...in any grade.

The point is, saying this coin is only worth melt is a complete disservice. Until proven otherwise, the OP should be made aware the coin could be quite valuable and should be evaluated.

Lord Geoff likes this.
  5. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

You got that. At least take the time to look up the year and issue before citing possible values. Geesh! Me thinks the response would have been more measured if it had been an 1889 CC Morgan or something else that more people are familiar with. Those old gold pieces - you really have to look 'em up. They are so different and less commonly discussed.

6. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I think we got hit with another "one post wonder".

Seems there are a lot of new members who post a question, then are never seen again. They don't post a photo, or even thank someone for their answer.

7. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

You are just too much.

Give advice which could easily take money from the man's pocket because you don't have a clue, and then complain he doesn't say thanks.

Not to mention the hypocrisy of the fact that you are the #1 originator of "one hit wonders" I have ever seen on any site.

Burnside_Q and KoinJester like this.
  8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That happens...people have a coin they have a question about. They get their answer and then leave. I truly hope he stuck around for a little while because the original "answers" to his question were VERY wrong and could cost him a lot of money.

I don't know if the coin is authentic or not...and I don't know if he saw many posts. But, I hope he did (and I hope it is).

Mainebill likes this.
  9. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I don't know.... If one was serious about a QE date and MM set, they must have considerable financial resources and likely wouldn't want a coin with a hole in it. Such a coin wouldn't appeal to a type set collector either. But on the other hand, it is rare and a civil war date. If it were mine, I would have it plugged, certified and sold via Goldberg's or Heritage - where serious buyers would see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted