1861 Confederate States of America Penny restrike...how much?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by derekstl79, Nov 3, 2008.

1. derekstl79

derekstl79 New Member

I just want to find someone who can tell me what they think this penny is worth. My aunt found it around her house down in Kennett, Missouri. She gave it to me over 20 years ago. I would just like to see if anyone can tell me what it might be worth and which restrike it is.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cherylkubucko

cherylkubucko Grandma Froggie

Welcome to coin Coin. Take a close up picture of the coin, in your photo program you can cut it down by using crop then you can resize it to about 500. This will enlarge the photo of the coin. Cheryl

4. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Retake the picture with a flashlight as side lighting, camera set to macro and flash off. Unless you have a light diffuser.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Do they look like any of these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Read the story here
    http://www.confederatequarter.com/cent.html

In the Photo, the 3 on the right are are Bashlow strikes
    The one on the left is mentioned on the above url as:

"Another group of fantasies has the value stated as 1/100 instead of 1 Cent. These were made around 1955 for the upcoming 100th anniversary of the American Civil War. They come in 2 varieties, 1/10 which represents a dime or 1/10 of $1 and 1/100 which represents a penny or 1/100 of $1. The obverse of the coin is similar as the real CSA penny. All is not bad though, if you have one of the German silver dimes (1/10) or copper (1/100), they sell for around $100 in VF and $150 in Unc. All others are copies and sell for around $15 - $30 each."

1862 Dated coins"
    "
    The 1862 Confederate cents, and all other Confederate coins with that date, are modern souvenirs made by the privately owned Georgia Mint for sale to tourist stops. The Georgia Mint made these with the wrong date on purpose to avoid being accused of counterfeiting."

Jim

6. FreakyGarrettC

Here is the back of his coin cropped and resized.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. FreakyGarrettC

8. derekstl79

derekstl79 New Member

Desertgem, yes it looks a lot like the one second from the left....same markings and about the same color. Sorry about the pics...yeah my camera is old and I deperately need a new one...sorry....

9. derekstl79

derekstl79 New Member

better pics of the 1 cent piece

Here is the best I can do with the camera I have........is it any better in determining which one it is?

Attached Files:

10. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

It does appear to be that one. :thumb:

Ribbit :)

11. desertgem

Looks like a Bashlow restrike. The best indication of price would be ebay sells. I can't really tell what condition yours happens to be. One that looks like uncirculated ( even though it was struck as a token) generally sells between $25 - $100, depending on the metal. Bronze least, goldine ( middle) , silver (higest), and if NCG slabbed, even higher depending on the grade. Just put "Bashlow" in ebay search box and you will see the range.

Jim

12. desertgem

Not a camera seller, but just noticed that Amazon lowered the price of my Canon 590IS from 149 to 119. Great camera for that price. But that is covered in many other threads.

Jim

13. desertgem

14. enjoi

enjoi New Member

from john

i have one of those too ,
    and if you find out how much it`s worth can you tell me?

15. desertgem

Draft saved Draft deleted