1856 Flying Eagle Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Zako, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

I have an 1856 Flying Eagle Cent that's in very poor condition that i found metal detecting on my grandfathers property. The coin is in such bad shape that i can barely read the year and i can only see the outline of the eagle on it however the back of the coin seems to be better preserved although worn i can see the reef fairly good and i can read the one cent just fine. I know the 1856 flying eagle cent is rare so can someone please tell me if its worth much.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

we would need to see pictures

4. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Pics please...

5. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Here's the picture Flying Eagle Cent.jpg

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's not a 56.

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

need clearer image of the date. If its 1858 it is worth $10-$15. It is is 1856, significantly more.

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's worth nothing without pictures.

9. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

looks like 1858

10. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Regardless of the readability of the date, the 1856 has certain die characteristics different from the common 1857 and 1858 varieties. I don't remember what they are, but someone here surely knows.

11. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

It looks to me like an 1858. The O in "OF" has a different shape. On the 1856, it looks more like a square than an oval on the inside. Its really tough to tell from the picture provided.

12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Look at the A and M in America. It's an 1858.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  13. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

Very cool detecting find, whatever year it turns out to be.

coingeek12, Endeavor, NOS and 2 others like this.
  14. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT! awesome find, no matter what it is!

mikenoodle likes this.
  15. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Yea its a cool find that one is the second one i found on my grandfathers property but the other one is so badly worn you can't really make out anything on it other than the feint outline of the eagle.

16. doug444

That suggests the coin(s) were lost in the 20 years before World War I. Go to the library and try to find out if your grandfather's farm was the location of camp meetings, or revival services, or even community picnics. Any of those three, or others, and I'd say there's plenty more coins to be found. If it's woods in its second or third growth, you're probably not searching deep enough.

I bought my first (White's) metal detector in 1970, but way too much arthritis to use one now. If I got down to dig a coin, that's the way they'd find me, a year later, frozen in place.:dead:

17. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Well the town where my grandfathers farm is located was founded in 1799 and the 40 acres that he owned before he died had been where some of the earliest settlers passed through and some stayed for a bit cause the oldest coin he found was a 1795 half cent and when i lived with him when i was a kid i found all sorts of old coins mostly dating from 1900 to the 1970s and that was just digging dirt up throughout his garden area

18. doug444

Have you found any silver coins, or just copper? Sounds like a gold mine. Let me add one point of technique, and maybe you already know this. As you move the coil back and forth, L and R, some users have a tendency to jerk the coil up a few inches when they change direction. When you do, you're missing 25% of your search area. Keep the coil LOW and absolutely parallel to the ground on the return stroke.

Useful for marking where you've searched, a squeeze bottle full of flour - a few puffs show up easily, don't pollute, and keep you from backtracking.

Re-search an area a second time immediately after a heavy rain. If you find more coins, there's a problem with your settings. If you are using a 6-inch coil, you may want to switch to a 4-inch coil. T-H dealers will sometimes rent coils.

19. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

There's been a whole bunch of coins and other artifacts found on the property. Shoot I've found Morgan dollars, Buffalo nickels, Barber dimes, Walking Liberty half dollars, V nickels. And that's just some of the coins i found when my grandfather was alive he found all sorts of coins through luck without a metal detector and other things to like arrow heads and other interesting stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted