1799 Bust dollar?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TypicalCreepahx, Aug 25, 2013.

1. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

If things are to good to be true, You should know what to do.

4. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Pass. Nothing about it looks right. An F example would go for more than $1000. The fact that this coin is being offered for a measly $200 is only one of the many warning flags in this listing.

5. robec

robec Junior Member

Fake, fake, fake.

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Well-Known Member

Looks to be a fake. If you are in the market for one go to a trusted dealer or get a TPG certified example by either PCGS or NGC.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Just for S&Gs, I'll say it again: if you do not know what you are or would be buying, don't buy it. If a certain coin interests you enough to be willing to plunk down the money to acquire one, it should also interest you enough to take the time to actually educate yourself before buying one.

TypicalCreepahx likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have to sympathise though. I don't have a bust dollar (and half) and would like to get one, but it would have to be a bargan. Guess I have a long look and wait.

9. Rickipedia

Rickipedia Korean YN at 12

Look at the surface the coin's photographed on. Looks like it's fresh out of the Chinese press :)

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Coins on craigslist? Who knew? I guess my impression of craigslist had been formed from reading too many farticles on CNN about it being a place to find untaxed personal services.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Even from that poor picture it is easy to say it is a poor quality fake.

12. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

If you weren't able to tell from the images that the $ is fake, the price and the description should have made you run the other way.

In numismatics, 99/100 times, if it's too good to be true - it most likely is. And even that 1% where you "score" is usually because you possess more knowledge about the coin in question than the person selling it.

The desciption is pretty funny, though:

13. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

Of course the price is not right and ten years ago it would have been worth a great deal more but how can anyone judge it from that poor photo.

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I magnified the image 4x. Even though it is a poor photo, IMO it is a poor quality fake.

15. Kentucky

From your new avatar, I thought your name said scottishomey : - )

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It is some dumb actor's mugshot. I get such a kick out of it. Next I am going to use James Brown's mugshot.

17. BooksB4Coins

You changed your title? The earlier one was a perfect fit for the photo. :)

18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

"Is I arrestipated" ?

19. BooksB4Coins

That's it! Easily the best title line on the forum, and got a laugh out of me.

20. Kentucky

Is the new name Scottishoney? : - )

Draft saved Draft deleted