1776 Continental Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by kevincoin, Mar 2, 2010.

1. kevincoin

kevincoin Junior Member

I thought it was said originals have pitting and were flawed when minted.
    I read about a dozen site's last night talking about the flaws that were in the circles on the outer edge of the original 1776 Continental Dollar.

I'm not trying to argue, just questioning your judgment based on a picture that I should have done a better job at. Kinda far away, need a new zoom lens for my Canon XSI.

Anyone, here close to Eastern, KY that would care to take a look at this in person? Or does anyone know of a reputable coin dealer nearby that could take a look at it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It has pitting of a cast copy, leaves a mark on paper indicating lead content, it looks like a poor copy, don't get your hopes up. Just trying to be realisitic.

4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Here is the last original piece I was able to handle. There are dramatic differences. You can't even see the names of the states inside the ring on your example. I have seen well circulated examples that still show this. The counterfeits hardly ever show a clear lettering inside the rings.

[​IMG]

5. kevincoin

kevincoin Junior Member

I understand your point, but in person you can read the letters for the states inside the circle. It's very dirty which make's it hard, but I agree it's a possible fake.

I'm not getting my hope's up until a professional looks at it in person and give's me a yay or nay...

6. kevincoin

kevincoin Junior Member

Called Heritage Auctions in regards to having someone look at it.
    Awaiting a return phone call. I'll keep you guys posted.

7. LostDutchman

Do you have a scale you can weigh it in grams on??? That would solve it in a hurry.

8. rocknroll

rocknroll Junior Member

hold out.

Kevincoin, I have one similar that I found in a very obscure place when I was a kid. It feels heavy, but I haven't weighed it. All the lettering is clear but it has pinholes and imperfections in it. It appears a similar color as the one in your photo but slightly lighter. If you find a "DEPENDABLE AND HONEST" person or organization to appraise this for you would you please let me know !!!??? Good luck with yours and I thank you.

9. hiho

hiho off to work we go

Personally I would sign up for a free membership at NGC and send the coin in to be certified. If it comes back as NOT GENUINE you have learned a fairly inexpensive lesson about early United States coins.

If it comes back as genuine you finally get your Ferrari. :D

10. kevincoin

kevincoin Junior Member

Based on the pics I sent to Heritage they said it looks like a copy.
    I asked how he came to that assumption, in turn he told me pretty much what someone said in this thread about the lettering inside the circles on the back of the coin.

It's not my coin just a friends and he was going to give me 25% of the sale for doing the legwork. He's not very educated.

Weighed it the other day and came back at 15.3 grams.
    So Most definatly a fake.

Would still rather send it in the PCGS? or whatever it's called and have it professionally looked at.

The guy told me once he found out the weight (fake) that I could have it.
    Said he would bring it down to me in a couple days for my trouble.

As for Ferrari I could care less. I'm more of about Classic American Muscle and know plenty on them.

Since everyone here tried to help out. If anyone was to be interested in purchasing any classic cars. I've been in the car hobby since birth and know how to run numbers and such for numbers matching cars and would offer my services to help members out at no charge.. ;)

11. LostDutchman

Kev,

Sending the coin to PCGS is going to cost $40-$50 for them to tell you the same thing. I'd hate to see you waste your or your friends money.

Draft saved Draft deleted