1776 continental currency

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Rod R R, May 4, 2006.

1. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

This one is also a fake. These have been made in huge numbers over the years as souvenirs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. empiremg

empiremg New Member

hmmm you think so? I got it from my grand father some time back before he passed away, he was a MASON , he had a lot of collectables such as paintings and other things, i took it to one coin dealer and was told it was a real coin , maybe i should do a little more research. Thank you my friend!!

4. empiremg

empiremg New Member

i would like to know , how do you know if it real or not? im not a big coin collector a few people have asked to buy it off of me for a few thousand , but it just has more of a meaning to me then it just being a old coin

5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Here is a real one I owned a while ago for reference. This was one of the pewter examples.

[​IMG]

6. empiremg

empiremg New Member

yea yours looks to be in great condition , the one i have looks a lot older and circulated.

7. PersianGuy

PersianGuy my.will.is.good

Wow what a beautiful coin!! I can't even imagine how much that set you back.

8. empiremg

empiremg New Member

9. LostDutchman

Empire,

I would have to say that the piece you have is not an authentic piece. I wish it was!

I have seen quite a few of the reproductions here at the coin shop. I have also handled several originals. The difference is night and day once you have handled an original.

I see lots of these. I don't know where they come from if they walk into the coin shop here I'll usually try to buy them for a buck or 2 to have as a reference for people with other ones. The one pictured below is one I had laying on my desk, If it didn't have copy stamped on the back it could definitely fool most anyone who didn't know better and most of the fakes are not marked like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. empiremg

empiremg New Member

thanks buddy , is there anything i can look for to tell if others are real or fake in the future ?

11. LostDutchman

The fake ones usually are lacking in the fine details... Like on the back where all of the chains are. In each link you should be able to read the names of each of the original thirteen colonies. This should be crisp and clear. If it is mushy... it is most likely a fake piece.

Also some of the fakes have a ridge around the edge... but im sure that has been covered in earlier posts.

12. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

OK, I watched yr youtube video. Yours is definitely a cast replica, you can see the casting seam around the edge. Still a nice keepsake from your Grandfather.

13. jgreenhood

jgreenhood Senior Member

At worse you could just go to a coin show & ask PCGS what they think or what ever grading company is there. I've never seen a real one. But as others have stated fake ones were even made back in 1776 so just cause some one has had it for 40 yrs doesn't mean it's real.

But to be honest with you if a dealer wants to pay you a couple of grand for it let them. If it's in as bad condition as you say they may offer you $5000 as one in Good condition sells for $7000 in red book on up. They were made in Pewter, Brass & silver.

If they are not offering you this much ask them. Chances are it's a fake I've yet to see a real one.

14. Lvgonadream

Lvgonadream Junior Member

I have a coin that is brown in the background and then the raised edges are silver.

However, the doubts are that there is some printing under the "rays" to the left of the sundial - seems to be the letters DCLV Roman for 685. The coin dealer we are working with says that the words "copy" or "replica" would be as stated in the above post - in the ring on the front, but most were on the back. He says also that it could be counterfeit. I read an article on-line where when the New America started minting their own coins, then England started reproducing them. The coin dealer we are working with is looking this up. Any clues?

Also without a magnifying glass, there seems to be the letter "r" between "contentental" and 1776.

Thanks in advance,
    Karen

15. pickering

pickering New Member

i have a continenal curency 1776 coin it is in worn condition. i can not find the word copy on it any where. i am looking at the front and directly under the sundial there is a T stamped in the coin could that mean it is real.what does the T mean

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

17. Jordan Case

Jordan Case New Member

Ive got a real continental curency coin real old looking and a bit warn down at the bottom becouse at this point in time all the copies almost look brand new

18. Jordan Case

Jordan Case New Member

Ive got a real continental curency coin real old looking and a bit warn down at the bottom becouse at this point in time all the copies almost look brand new

19. Jordan Case

Jordan Case New Member

Ive had it checked and it is real if anyone is intrested just ask im willing to sell mine been in my family for years think its about time to sell it there is not many real ones left

Draft saved Draft deleted