1776 Continental Curecny Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by huffy2, Apr 21, 2010.

1. huffy2

huffy2 Junior Member

Hi,I know nothing about coins except what I've found on the internet,I picked this coin up through the classifieds as a neat old coin thinking it is a replica because of the big ugly lump on it.It's thinner on one side than the other,it is the right size and weight for the real ones(39 MM by 19.75 grams) so I thought I better ask you guys if it's worth getting checked out,the pictures of the cast coins I can find have the line down the center of the rim and they look cast,this one(pictures are horrible sorry)has no line in the rim and is quite smooth on the face,it doesn't have lots of little holes(which I guess are cast bubbles),maybe 4-5.It is very black also,the state names are about half readable and the ones that are have qiute crisp letters.

I know these pictures are poor but I figured you guys can tell me if it's worth sending in or should I throw it in a drawer and forget about it,please advise,thanks,Greg.

I also pushed with my fingernail real hard on the lump and it is solid and I tried to pick it off with my fingernail too and it's on there good.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. huffy2

huffy2 Junior Member

I mean't Curency not Curecny,typo sorry.

4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Can't see anything meaningful from the pictures but the presence of little bubbles and pits is almost always an indicator of a casting and that would mean that it is not genuine.

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I'd love to help but there is no way I can tell anything from that picture as it is to small.

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

There were many, many thousands of copies-replicas-fakes-counterfeits of these issues produced over the decades by various methods and scores of manufacturers intent on selling everything from novelties to numismatically deceptive pieces. The odds are overwhelmingly against this being a genuine piece.

What did you pay from the classifieds? That will tell us quite a bit.

7. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

I concur Tom in most cases :thumb: That said, I did buy a super sweet Nova Constellatio ab. 3 months ago for peanuts compared to what it's worth... the seller didn't know what they had, it was via auction, and I had no chance to advise the seller accordingly :)

Perhaps Huffy could post a better photo of his specimens too?

8. huffy2

huffy2 Junior Member

Hi,I'll get better pictures,I was on the internet for hours before putting up my post so I wouldn't look stupid though,those "little bubbles" I'm not even sure if they are bubbles,I was at Heritage looking around and the coin actually looks exactly like the little marks in some of there coins that have been authenticated,I would send it in if that were only it but it's the lump on it that bugs me,it's not huge,smaller than the head of a pin and not that high but it is definately a lump,did old coins like this get lumps on them from time to time ?

I do know the odds are very low it is a real one but I keep thinking everything looks good and any replica as soon as it was cast the forger(or legitimate replica company) would see the lump(it is obvious)and never try to pass it off as real or even a collector peice without removing it or throwing it back into the melt pot,I could have taken the lump off myself if I wanted too but I'm not going to fool with it incase it's real and I don't want to wreck it incase it's historical and I'm not here to fool anybody,I'm a honest guy and put it up here as found. Let me know what you guys think about these old coins,could a real one have a small lump on it from being made ? It is pewter.

I will get better pictures,thanks.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Huffy,

In the blue/grey menu bar above, notice the "search" button. If you put
    1776 Continental in the search box, you will get a large number of past threads

that involve this coin. There are originals, Dickerson restrikes, Bashlow and Bowers restrikes ( in the 60s) that are all die struck and can be authenticated and have varying value, and also countless souvenir, cast replicas, and counterfeit and have no real value.

Jim

10. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

pics are kinda small, can you get them any larger?

11. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

compare these 1776

compare yours to this continental speciman.

12. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

click on image twice, then use magnifier to bring it up real close.

Draft saved Draft deleted