1/10 & 1/20 oz gold coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by AlphaWSierra, Jan 7, 2010.

1. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

I'm confused. This is a thread about fractional gold coins or bullion, and you mention Capped Bust Dimes. I'm not sure this is related to fractional GOLD....but what do I know?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1224

1224 Junior Member

fractional gold quest

Hello i have a question In the USA today backpage ad US rare coin & bullion has 5$ goverment issued gold coin ? for 122$ per coin, no limit, no dealer markup. If this is a 2010 or 2009 AGE, is there a pro or con to ordering this. No this isn't a setup just a newbie question. Oh there is no website just a number. steven moor EDIT i also just found a 2008 slabed 5$ ms69 for 219$ on http://www.thecoinvault.net/product_details.aspx?item_guid=a043dcb9-b65e-40b3-be25-6c64d5fb7df0
    so is the value and the resale potential there, if gold rises? thanks

4. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

5. 1224

1224 Junior Member

-

thanks
    looking on ebay list all auctions i see, that 122$ is on the low end of normal.
    It looks like the only deals would be to buy 10 at a time for 1155$ :smile
    if you could get it. And i saw that an american buffalo was listed as .9999 or 4 9s, are AEs 4 .9s? I'll think about 20$ pieces only.

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You can start with an American gold eagle coin which is a tenth or you could go cheaper and buy a 1/20th dos pesos gold coin and pay $50 to $60. Your choice and I think it's a great way to accumalate gold. :thumb:

7. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

AGE are 22k, 91.75%.

8. RGJohn777

RGJohn777 Junior Member

They pile up nicely, always seem to command a premium,enjoy universal recognition, and are neither too large nor too small (currently will purchase 40 gallons of gasoline or 3.5 cases of beer).
    Go for it.

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I dont know about the price!!

10. coldhardcash

coldhardcash Member

Another option for collecting smaller gold is to literally make a "collection" out of it. In the nineties I decided to see how many countries I could obtain 1/10 ounce gold bullion from. I remember I got some of the easy ones on ebay for $31 plus shipping! I continued for several years before finally stopping when I could no longer buy any for under about $70. I have not looked in a while but I believe I have coins from 22 different countries. I realize that some of them originated from common mints, but didn't let that stop me. I also found 3 different US states. I ignored the lunar and private stuff. It might be a little pricey to do that now but who knows, maybe in reality it won't be. I tell you it is a lot more interesting to look at than 22 1/10 eagles!

gold standard db likes this.
  11. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Neat idea. I like it! :cool:

12. pale ridder

pale ridder Junior Member

I just bought some 1/10oz gold and will keep buying,yes silver will take off (maybe) but gold will always lead the way i want to have alittle of the stuff on hand just cause??

13. sunflower

sunflower New Member

I like what CappedBustDimes and Collector1966 had to write.

I have purchased about 70 pieces combined of 1/10 oz. gold pieces (Aust Phils, SAK, and misc. foreign). Recently, I purchased 4 pieces of 1/20 oz. Canadian Maples.

I owed my nephew 4 gifts for his recent 4 gold medals in his chosen sport. I wish I had ordered more of them for me. I would love to have a few more. In early Feb, the price was higher than I paid in Dec. Few places seem to have them on hand.

Buy what you love - and can afford. Smaller and higher priced gold is better than no gold at all.

gold standard db likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted